Mystery Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Moore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone recognise this chipper? Seems to be 60's, maybe early 70's. 16" and originally a 330 V8 ford power. It's frankenstiened now with a 305 chev so can't say what else has been changed around. One thing of note is it doesn't have the blower on the flywheel that blows into the discharge chute like most do.. It's one I'm looking at. Runs, clutch is good, bearings quiet. Blades toast as is the rad (it's a truck rad though) and need to find a governor for it since whoever swapped in the 305 ran the throttle direct. Can't imagine how that worked out..

Anyway, I can grab it for $300 cdn (about $240US) so I don't think I can go too far wrong, just trying to figure out who made it. No marks/plates on frame. One small plate on the chute near the drum but 20 layers of paint on it.

Any input greatly appreciated!
ps, not for daily commercial use, just occasional home use and while I don't like this type of chipper, I'm familier with using them.

Attachments

• 20171128_094554.jpg
    20171128_094554.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
Brought it home today. It isn't a 16 but a 12 and originally had a 6cyl not the 330.. Found someone that knew better history of it than the owner. Stripped 1/2 dozen layers of paint and found the stamped tag. It is an Asplundh, serial is C2239 so I expect a C series so a late 50's not 60's.. Also has TC 1933 on frame, still googling to see if that means anything.

Probably the only picture of a 1950's Asplundh on the web so wanted to update.

Latest posts

Back