mystery tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona Morris

Reaction score
I have some trees in my yard that are not native to my area. I live in northern Ontario Canada. These trees have a bark that breaks off easily and the branches have thorns like a rose bush. I thought the tree was dead because it looked dried out and didn't get any leaves on it until about 2-3 weeks after all the other trees in my area. Does anyone know what kind of tree this is???

It could be a locust tree. We don't have any in Florida, but I lived in New Jersey about 18 years ago and I think we had locusts there. If I recall correctly, they had blackish, rough bark and small compound leaves. I think they got some kind of long seed pods too. Let me know if this sounds like your trees. I'm going by memory because I'm too lazy to get up and look through my books:eek: :D

Ms. Morris --

Symonds (The Tree Identification Book) lists half-dozen thorny deciduous trees:
Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera)
Hawthorn (Crataegus species)
Black Locust (Robinia species)
Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos)
Buckthorn (Rhamnus species)
Wild Plum (Prunus species)

A web search should provide you with descriptions/pictures which will help you narrow your selections.

Let us know what you find & how it goes.

From the description, me thinks too that Brett is right. Though there are not many here in North Bay, I have cut several down for roadway improvements. All were planted. The bark is very thick for northern species (1.5") and the leaves are as mentioned above. It hurts to chip these through a drum chipper!

Back