Mythology 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the myth is/was the 550 Husky vs 261 Stihl
clumcy, Stihl getting their ass handed to them lately, 261 not what 50cc saw supposed to be
Ducking this comparison isn't shooting down Myth #1

As to the top handle, the myth is Stihl is head and shoulders above the pack.
Look at the handle placement, one can get their hands much farther apart for/aft in your comparison on the Husky. Not sure how you lined them up in the top view, I would line them up even if there were no bucking spikes.

390/660 a current model vs a new left over sort of comparison. 395 probably should be there. The F350 utility body and the 660 stay at the landing/where log trucks come. He takes a somewhat smaller Stihl on the skidder into the forest so around here myth or not might not matter.

372XP oe/MS460Mag Husky seems to have a nicer taper towards the rear, a lot of the bulk is that the air intake/starter stuff sticks out. Looks like the Stihl Handlebar is wider towards the left. Hopefully I am looking at the right picture.

346XPne/MS260Pro One seems longer the other seems wider. Look where the bar is relative to the chain brake lever, inboard outboard clutch I presume. Again I wonder how you lined them up.

So they are your family
children big ones boys little ones girls
Wife's brother, father in law, etc
Any special way to look at it?

4902676e2ae3d340376bb857bab752f7.jpg
31da16c1a65a000b4a59262ce88d0b8e.jpg
843f346260e142f1252104a7624d777a.jpg
963cb4b5d4adee5a21fbb89b4a9cf0fe.jpg

So 261c vs 346xp (actually its a 353 at the moment, next week it's having bigger balls added)
Oh, and I had to prop the 346 up to stop the stupid thing rolling off the table

Regardless of handle placement with the top handles it is not myth that Stihl is head and shoulders above the rest.....that is a FACT. All my rear handle saws except my 361 are Huskys but my top handles are Stihl.

It does seem the majority decision on the criteria of a saw is speed on AS. I've talked to a lot of Loggers over the past 20 years and they never mention speed.....only durability. And when I ask about power and speed they all say they're all strong...but this or that brand lasts the longest.
you're right, thats how loggers usually respond. Because they know how to take advantage on a saw that has more torque or chain speed by adjusting raker settings and filing angle, finally bringing down to which saw will last longer ;)

Maybe it's just because Husqies have a more flimsy feel than the comparable Stihl models. I'm sure not overly impressed with the Husqies no matter how cheap some of you can buy them online.

Regardless of handle placement with the top handles it is not myth that Stihl is head and shoulders above the rest.....that is a FACT. All my rear handle saws except my 361 are Huskys but my top handles are Stihl.
We use 201t at work, they are horrid stock but still better to me than any husky t/h, with mods I'd imagine them to shine

192t is a cracking saw, with muff/timing/retune they are outstanding, in fact I think it's better than any non Stihl t/h I've ever picked up or used

200t can't be bettered,
matched? maybe
beaten? no
it is hands down one of the best saws ever made in any class

150t looks cracking, we have one at work though the boss is guarding it fiercely, those that have used it up a tree love it, I have a snellerized one coming, can't wait

As far as these being non comparable models, they don't get any closer than this. If you walked into a Husky/stihl dealer in 2010, you could have bought all 8 of these saws together. You could argue the 660 should be against a 395 and the 372 vs a 440, but in both cases that would just further prove my point as a 440 is 1/2" narrower than a 460 and a 395 is much bigger than a 390

I like my 372 and 390 a lot too, I really like the 346 and the 338 is a decent saw too, granted it wants to be a 200T when it grows up. I just like to get the orange blooded fired up a little.

Latest posts

Back