N east PA which trees to cut for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttamoneypit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
new here 40 yrs old backyard mechanic type moved to our current house in summer of 2004 and its a bi-level or some people call it a raised ranch its kinda small maybe 1200 sq ft half of the lower level is my garage which is home for my 1989 pontiac TTA turbo trans am with 3.8 Buick turbo motor--lots of mods over 500HP

anyway this house came with an old shenendoah round woodstove with large front door and it has a magicheat on the pipe which throws out a lot of air

main heat is electric baseboard i only use the woodstove once in a while during the week and about 10 hrs a day on my days off

so far I've been burning wood that the old homeowners left here and i cut some of the trees that have fallen down--I think mostly maple

my question is how do i identify which trees on my property are hardwood?

I'm in Danville PA 17821 near buckhorn truckstop I80

How big of property?...I would not cut anything but deadwood, standing or downed...Hard wood is any wood that looses it's leafs to use the definition loosely...

Welsome to AS! I am an ex mechanic myself,I love the 89 turbo TA,rare car,with heads that were only on that car.
As for identifying hardwoods,I used to be the same way,I didnt know what was what,and I still cant ID every tree,but Im getting much better.Most of whats in your woods should be hardwood,exc the any pine trees naturally. I cut up and burn pretty much anything but pine and willow.I will throw in pine junk,but i wont even bother to buck it up,it just doesnt put out enough heat to make it worth it when there is so much hardwood rotting in the woods.We have a ton of locust here,esp around the farm fields,locust makes great firewood,and can sit in the woods drying down for years and not rot.Ive found its tough on chains though,esp when seasoned.
I'd use this site,and the internet to ID trees,until you get familiar with them,once the leaves are on I find it easier to ID most them by there leaves.

I'm in western pa. Locust is my favorite...super hot and long burn times...cherry is second and most popular around here. The wind storms we had last summer have provided tons of down cherries in this area, but take whatever you can get.

Should be quite a bit of hickory up there too. shag bark has been one of my staples for years but only take dead or sick ones please.
attachment.php

Shaq bark hickory is my favorite tree, I love the tall old ones. It's funny some of the biggest trees in PA are down in and around the citys.

Your in my backyard:) I live in Bloomsburg and cut wood at a friends in Buckhorn area or the animal shelter I'm on the board of between bloomsburg and millville...anyway first tip on hardwood vs softwood is leaves...that's real general but you want leaves not needles :) Around here there is alot of ash and it's straight as a board and easy to cut, hardly any limbing unless it's a really big one....good amount of oak also. Or just post up pictures on here and everyone will tell you what is what.

small property 1.03 acres but I have woods to the right and front of my house,the neighbor has 8 acres and told me to cut as much as I want but she is selling the place soon--I'm trying to talk her out of selling to someone else with a bunch of kids because we want to buy it and move the mother inlaw in there and then i have 8 acres to play with

I also need a new chainsaw the 42cc craftsman with 18" bar works ok I guess but I need a real chainsaw--I'm not impressed with the statement "for occasional use only" thats written on the box and owners manual of this craftsman and its letting baroil run out

thanks for any help

Back