nashau wood burning stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick aloi

Reaction score
i currently have a nashau n24 wood burning stove with two air vents in front, 3 pin hinged glass door, horizontal rear vent to a vertical vent up past roof. i have used this stove for the past two years without any problems. two monyhs ago my wife and i felt it was neccessary to have the unit and chimney cleaned, inspected, and certified, well that turned out to be a big mistake even though we contracted a very large, supposely qualified company to do this. they came out did waht they needed to do, gave us a wriiten certification and left. that nite we put a fire in and to our surprise were waken at 2:00 am in the morning with all smoke detectors and carbon monixide detectors going off, we left the home with the clothes on our back and were out of the home for 1 month while the cleaning took place. A second compnay was brought in and they determined that the gasket on the door was never put back on. we have since had the gasket put back on, new top cap installed and duct again cleaned. Th ereal problem at this point is that the after trying to do two fires in wood stove , it is not reacting like it used to, i seem to be having a venting problem, and im being told that everything is clear, but something else has changed, and i cant put my finger on it. i have burned over 5 cords of wood in this stove prior to the ist company coming in and i never had any smoke back up whats so ever, now when trying to use it we get smoke back-up, fire seems to be not getting enough air, but im doing nothing different.was wondering if anyone out there can help with any advice on waht i should do.

the first company took the rope gasket off? was it bad before it was taken off? maybe if it worked good before without a problem it could have been because the gasket leaked a little and helped the chimney draw?

Last edited:
Sounds like you are having a draft issue. Is the new cap the same as the old one or a different style?

Try "pre-heating" the flu to get a draft going with really small pieces and some paper with the door partially open. Place the small bits directly under the flue opening and let her rip. You can also do this with a small propane flame...just enough to get warm air rising through the pipe.

the top cap is the same, it is definately a drafting problem solely, went to a firepalce shop in my area and there was an old timer who suggested that when they cleaned the chimney that they went to far down and pushed the cap off of the t pipe at bottom. i need to gain access to these area from the outside of the chimney chase seeing that there was never access to this before to locate the bottom of the t pipe and see whether or not it is intact. thansk for your opinion

The T's on this black chimney pipe is a thinner guage steel than the rest of the pipe. It gets more worn and sometimes rusty from the heat exiting the stove. My cap on the bottom of my stove has fallen down. When that happens I get VERY LITTLE DRAW, and know from past experience what is wrong with the stove. More than likely your problem. Easily corrected.

Latest posts

Back