Natural Gas Leak Killing Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About a year ago I noticed my Red Pine had not put on the usual annual growth and the canopy was thinning. Then about three months ago, the gas company said they found a leak in my line. They are now replacing the entire line. It runs about 8 ft away from the tree trunk. Other trees are near the gas line but not near the leak and seem unaffected. The grass does not seem very affected by the leak.

The tree is 45' tall and is probably 40-50 years old. I climb it and put lights on it at Christmas. Last year I noticed the leader was curled over and had minimal growth.

Do you think the leak could be the issue with the pine's growth? Is there anything I can do to help out the tree (aerate for instance)? Will I loose it?

One possibility....Natural gas contaminates the soil with methane, causing methane-consuming bacteria to multiply and suck up the oxygen in the soil. That interrupts the crucial exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the soil and air, and carbon dioxide, methane and other components in natural gas build up and contaminate the tree's roots. The roots die and the tree follows.

One way to notice a gas leak, the lawn will be completely dead in the area of the leak. Like a bare spot, in a field of green......

Of course, trenching a new line 8 foot away, through the roots may cause more damage to a pine than the leak itself.

I think if ya took a big s h i t under this tree every morning for a month or two it will replenish it leaves an continue to grow if not u can always :chop:it down :cry:

Latest posts

Back