Need 088 muffler help/advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm helping a buddy resuscitate an 088 he found. It's going to be pretty needy. One problem is the muffler. It's the clip-on design and the clip end seems to be in good shape. Problem is at the front where the muff is "strapped" to the case. As can be seen in the picture, one of the threaded inserts in the muff is missing. This doesn't seem to be a part that be purchased separately, at least I don't see it in the IPL.

My question is this - have any of you confronted this problem and come up with a solution short of looking for a new muffler? I fear that if the saw gets much run time with just the "strap" on the right side, there will be enough vibration to shorten the life of the muffler.

It would be helpful to know the size and thread pitch of the insert that fills that hole. Perhaps I can fab a substitute if all else fails.

Thanks!

P1000881.JPG

RivNut (spelling ?) comes to mind.

Basically a threaded bore rivet that you insert and upset with a threaded mandrel.
That would be an elegant solution (and an excuse to buy a new tool, too - double bonus) but it appears Rivnuts are designed to go through sheet metal and the threaded hole is not much smaller than the OD. My best guess (based on the tap size that appears to be a good fit) is that the hole in the muffler is M11x1.5 while the bolt that threads in to it is an M5.
Thanks for the suggestion, though. I've put a Rivnut installer on my watch list.

Back