Need a string trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Block

WFO or I don't go
Reaction score
What's the best one for the money ? It has to have a straight shaft and be able to tune it. It will obviously get a mm. I have magnumits and can't leave anything alone.

Husqvarna 525ls. I do believe it is the best. Strato, 1.34hp and awesome. Easy muffler mod, just grind apart, remove the cat and bolt the two pieces back on. Or get the split shaft version. If you don't have a split shaft trimmer you ought to consider it.

Husqvarna 525ls. I do believe it is the best. Strato, 1.34hp and awesome. Easy muffler mod, just grind apart, remove the cat and bolt the two pieces back on. Or get the split shaft version. If you don't have a split shaft trimmer you ought to consider it.

Split shaft? like make it a pole saw?

i bought a husqvarna 125L ($200 new) about 8-9 years ago, and have beat the piss out of it and still starts and runs great. dont think its available anymore, and if i had it to do again i wouldve probly stepped up to the next level with a solid shaft as opposed to the braided wire shaft, as its starting to get out of balance sometimes and hits the shaft tubing. i guess i dont know the current model offerings from any major brand, but i think it all depends on what you need this thing to do for you.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/trimmers/525lk/967148303/

Ouch, it is $70 more than 525ls (329 vs 399 US$). But I wouldn't by a non split shaft for residential use. Cutting brush with a blade would require a steel drive shaft. Some split shafts are half braided cable, don't know what the Husqvarna is.

I guess the question is, what are you doing with? If you just want something to do a little trimming the 322L is a good budget option.

I bought a SRM225 Echo trimmer. It was the smallest and lightest straight shaft trimmer they had. I cut a large cemetery for my church and I carry it for about 4 hours to cut the cemetery. I have had zero issues with it and I use it to trim my home yard as well. Buy it at the annual 20% sale and it should run $160 to 170. For the big brush cutter I got the SRM410U. Now that thing will rip down anything in its path.

On second thought, you might look look at Echo, too. They do make good stuff but a PAS-266 + the trimmer attachment will set you back about as much as the Husqvarna. If you need the power, a km-130 has it but is a four stroke power head that takes mix. I have a km-130 but it is heavy. I like the 525ls at about 10lbs But it doesn't have the torque.

ive used the husky "tri-cut" head on mine a LOT. big plastic head with 3 nylon blades or teeth or whatever you wanna call em. Great for cutting tall grass/weeds. definitely not for any woody plants, but its pretty brutal on everything else and the 125 has taken the abuse, though as i said its close to the end for the shaft anyway. far from the best quality string trimmer out there, and you certainly dont have to buy a husky. i bet you could buy a husky/stihl/echo entry level straight shaft trimmer and be pretty satisfied for a long time with it. i did muff mod my trimmer a while ago and had to buy the splined carb tool off the internets to tune it up proper as well.

There is the husqvarna 223l Swedish made "Semi-Professional" Replaced by the 128L (poulan model). I think new they were around $320 or so? Northern Tool has refurbs them for around $170 and they have a $10 off $100. So shipped should be under $200. I was looking at them for myself.
Refurbs can be hit or miss, but doing a basic check to ensure they are in good shape should tell you a lot, and Northern Tool should be good if there is a problem.

Seems like a good price, but I have nothing against Echo or others, just trying to do everything on the cheap.

I've been happy with my Husky 128. Bumped up to the .095 string and it lasts for a long time. The head is one of the "easy wind" so reloading the spool takes about 30 seconds.

I've modded both Echos and Husky's. I prefer the ergonomics of the Echo and the design lends itself better to mods. I have a 21cc SRM-210. Get the bigger 260 model. Echo cylinders are Nikasil plated. Forged crank.

They won't have adjustable carbs, so you will have to retrofit something.

I've muff modded mine and installed a blueprinted adjustable carb, velocity stack, and filter. Also run a tach

20140721_215417 (Small).jpg 20140721_215506 (Small).jpg

I've modded both Echos and Husky's. I prefer the ergonomics of the Echo and the design lends itself better to mods. I have a 21cc SRM-210. Get the bigger 260 model. Echo cylinders are Nikasil plated. Forged crank.

They won't have adjustable carbs, so you will have to retrofit something.

I've muff modded mine and installed a blueprinted adjustable carb, velocity stack, and filter. Also run a tach

View attachment 534689 View attachment 534690
That is awesome !!!

The Shindawa T-25 is a good smaller trimmer. If you are looking for more power and bike bars and the ability to really use a blade if needed, I would opt for a Shindaiwa C-35 or B-45. These can be found on Craigslist for as little as $75 and work as well as a new high priced unit.
e64e549322f7b94051c33da06d92234b.jpg

046387b2a84355c43a21259916981e63.jpg

The Husqvarana 223L is an awesome trimmer, esy to carry, yet powerful! No longer available as new, but refurbs are available. I have 3 of them.

I've had great luck with my 326. After a mm (ugly one), it's fast and strong. Pull the limiter and it's super-easy to tune. I'm not particularly nice to my equipment, and we're prolly 6 years in with no maintenance

Latest posts

Back