Need advice felling damaged tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will RE-SHOOT a photo from a different perspective.
Its pretty much worthless from the angle it was shot, Im afraid.

Ekka, If I had made cuts where you drew them, the tree would have fallen BACKWARDS and UPHILL, not where I wanted it to.

musch said:
I will RE-SHOOT a photo from a different perspective.
Its pretty much worthless from the angle it was shot, Im afraid.

Ekka, If I had made cuts where you drew them, the tree would have fallen BACKWARDS and UPHILL, not where I wanted it to.

Ha, now that wouldv'e been a funny pic.

Yeah, angles play on you in pics and video, many times when I take pics or video close ups of the notch etc I try to get level with it.

So you were felling downhill on a 45 degree angle, so the backcut was level then??? Or was the notch bottom cut facing uphill???

Take some side on and front on pics.

musch said:
2 things

1. The notch is still partially there on the stump, I probably should have knocked it out, but it was giving no structural support to the tree.

2. The undercut is not below the notch, and the tree was leaning downward on a hill of about 45 degrees. I suspected that was what you meant.
Uhhh. Okay....maybe John was right.

musch said:
2. The undercut is not below the notch, and the tree was leaning downward on a hill of about 45 degrees.

musch said:

musch, I'm not a professional tree guy, just a homeowner with a saw, like you. But I do know some basic physics, and if that tree was leaning downhill at a 45 degree angle, there is no way to cut it that will make it fall UPHILL, unless you have a crane helping you.

Hey, take some better pics and let these guys rip you apart. It's educational! Trust me, they've done it to me, and I've got more coming when I get around to posting the pics! :laugh:

I wrote that the tree was leaning downhill.
The HILL is about 45 degrees.

NOT that the tree was leaning at a 45 degree angle.

and yes, the cut was level.

like I said, I will reshoot the photos in the next couple days. I am far from the tree at present.

Well, I was out there yesterday, and took a long hard look at the stump.
Of course I forgot the #*!# camera, but thats another story.

Heres my conclusion.
I am man enough to admit when I am wrong.

1. The notch was not deep enough or low enough.

2. The felling cut was at a little downhill angle, but not as bad as it appears in the photo.

The tree was leaning downhill, and it went ok, next time I'd do it a little differently.

Thanks to everyone on here for the free advice.
I sure did get plenty of feedback!
I will still post photos, but like I said, upon reflection, and being there, you guys had some good points.

musch said:
2 things

1. The notch is still partially there on the stump, I probably should have knocked it out, but it was giving no structural support to the tree.

Not, probably should have knocked it out, Should have removed it before making the back cut. Remove it completely.

2. The undercut is not below the notch, and the tree was leaning downward on a hill of about 45 degrees. I suspected that was what you meant.
I think that the photo is misleading. It should look more like this

The photo may be misleading but do not leave half the notch in place, remove it unless you intend to have the tree do unexpected tricks.

Good points.
I will continue to come back, you guys really know your stuff.

:popcorn:

Back