Need Advice Please for Pex Connections

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny Yooper

Johnny Yooper

ArboristSite Operative
I have an OWB with a 135' run of Wirsbo Pex inside 4" insulated pipe ripped out and replacing with Thermopex (long story), it will connect to 1" copper pipe once inside the house. Previous connections were made by plumber using the expansion method; based on my reading, that appears to be a top notch connection method, not one drip or slightest sign of issues in nine heating seasons. I'm doing these connections myself and will purchase the tools now to do this job as any future plumbing work I'll probably use Pex even though I've been sweating copper for 30 years. So, the question is: what Pex connection method to use....expansion, cinching, or crimping? I normally don't go with the cheapest tool out there especially if it's something that will get a lot of use, which this will as I'll be doing more plumbing with Pex and less with copper as time goes on. So, what do you guys use for connecting the 1" Thermopex lines? Thanks in advance for your insight.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm not sure you can use the expansion method on thermopex. Wirsbro pex I thought was the only one that used that method. I thought all others were cinch or crimp.
Someone with more knowledge on the matter will be of more help though.

stihl sawing
I use these, they are simple to put on and will not leak, thay are cheaper than sharkbite too. Just replaced a bunch of joints with them. The old ones were compressed fitted. You can find them at RV stores and Hardware places. Lowes or home depot don't have them.

attachment.php

Iska3

Iska3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Last edited:
Guswhit

Guswhit

ArboristSite Guru
After helping a friend run pex through 16 apartments, I went with the stainless clamps on most of my lines like River Rocket. I've use the others but found out that the stainless clamp was the best way to go for us. Only need the one tool and no guessing..

I used the sharkbites on my OWB, 5 years no issues. Never used them before that. Pricey for the 1" connections though.

Iska3

Iska3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yep!! These work good... I used these when I only had to make a few connections. Fast and Easy. My CB dealer sent me a few of these to try when a friends pump went out. If I were to only need a few connections, I'd use these again. Better than buying a tool that sits and collects dust.

I used these:
View attachment 306243

Standard stainless steel clamps don't work but these do. Seems to me they were around $1.00/each at a local OWB dealer.

haveawoody

haveawoody

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pex near the boiler with very hot water, I wouldn't.
Keep it a copper or galv line until you are well away from the boiler.
Better yet copper or galv all the way.

I'm not saying you cant use pex, I just personally wouldn't.
Pex works very well with standard house temperatures but on a boiler with very hot lines I bet all the connections will have issues.

Guswhit

Guswhit

ArboristSite Guru
Pex near the boiler with very hot water, I wouldn't.
Keep it a copper or galv line until you are well away from the boiler.
Better yet copper or galv all the way.

I'm not saying you cant use pex, I just personally wouldn't.
Pex works very well with standard house temperatures but on a boiler with very hot lines I bet all the connections will have issues.

I probably should rephrase what I ment about my fittings after this statement. I made all my connections out of the OWB in copper with the valving, pumps and temp gauges soldered and bolted together and at almost the ground level I used a threaded male sharkbite fittng screwed into those to connect the pex lines running to the house. I guess I was presuming things that may or may not be correct.

Johnny Yooper

Johnny Yooper

ArboristSite Operative
H-Ranch, thanks for the pic of that clamp, where do you guys find these.....I cannot find them anywhere on the 'Net, and the closest OWB dealer has not returned my calls. Thanks guys

H-Ranch

H-Ranch

Is there an ECHO in here?
. AS Supporting Member.
H-Ranch, thanks for the pic of that clamp, where do you guys find these.....I cannot find them anywhere on the 'Net, and the closest OWB dealer has not returned my calls. Thanks guys

I can't remember the name of the dealer I got them from and they are out of the way of my normal travels. I just searched online and it took me longer than I thought it should have also. Use your favorite images search engine for Clamp For 1" PEX or Stainless Steel PEX Pipe Clamp and you'll find some in the first couple of pages.

Clamp-for-1-pex-clamps-and-ringsclampsm.htm

Butch(OH)

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
6 years ago I did mine with Zurn pex all the way. Lines, fittings, crimp tool and crimp rings and guess what? I had no mix match troubles :msp_ohmy: and still no one leak in probably 30 connections. There were and still are a few posts in the internet about leaks with the copper rings after the lines cool down but I don't put much credence in them. My theory is outside of an anvil or a pile of dirt there is little that cant be screwed up by somebody so inclined. The crimp tooling has come down considerably in price from when I bought mine. For anything more than just a few fittings shark bites get expensive, but that's my only knock on them, I have helped install a couple systems that used them.

Johnny Yooper

Johnny Yooper

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks to all who replied to my question; the OWB dealer closest to me never returned my calls, but a co worker knew of a dealer by him and they have the stainless clamp fittings shown in some of the photos in this thread so I had my co worker pick them up for me, will be pumping water very soon!

Latest posts