Need career help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to go to the ASCA academy next feb, to see if report writing is your shtick.

in the field experience means nothing today, have 4 years in college for some kind of forestry field and now you can run a 125 year old company, at least that's how it was where I worked.

in the field experience means nothing today, have 4 years in college for some kind of forestry field and now you can run a 125 year old company, at least that's how it was where I worked.

Same for the ones I worked,experience does not count
unless everyone that has it boycots their azz!!!!!!!!!

Job security is a thing of the past. Loyalty means nothing, just dollars & cents.

Depends on the person. I will say it is not like it used to be,
but my word is as good as it ever was. I am much more
careful to what I agree to, and who I give it too, but once
given short of death, it will come to pass! What a man has
in the end is his word,honor,integrity thats it.

I'm a "Tree Warden" if that helps, City Arborist is the title I prefer. Education is good, experience is better, and good people skills are the most important IMO. I've been doing this job for 5 years now, I believe I would have been out of the tree business alltogether if I still had to labor for a living. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away..............

+1

I want thank everyone for taking the time to reply. I pride my self on being a good employee. I love my job, and my employer gives me a lot of trust and responsibility. I'v been thinking of going into sale, or estimating. I'm not sure if I would be happy to far from the front lines. I like to work, I like the challenges of doing a big job, I like when the customer is happy with our work. I take it personally if anything does go wrong. I don't know if I could be a pencil pusher. I have a three year plan, I am current working on an AS in horticulture, My wife and I are prepared to move anywhere in the world if need be(I'v lived and worked within a 50 mile radius my whole life)I want a better life for my family. I have a fall back plan of driving truck, sad with over 20 years of tree work if I have to become a truck driver to make decent money. Some times I think the only different between a city arborist who makes a good salary, and an over worked underpaid foremen is just going for it. So I guess I'm going to shoot my shot and see where it goes. Again thanks for the input. Wade

Some times I think the only different between a city arborist who makes a good salary, and an over worked underpaid foremen is just going for it. So I guess I'm going to shoot my shot and see where it goes. Again thanks for the input. Wade

Very True.

You can complain about where you are at, or do what it takes to get to where you want to be. Sounds to me like you are doing whatever it takes, good luck.:clap:

Latest posts

Back