Need career help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can any one give me some ideas on jobs in the tree industry besides climbing. I just found out that there are positions like'" production manager". I have many of years experience but I'd like to move up in the tree industry. I saw a city guy yesterday in slacks and a white shirt marking trees. That's what I'm looking for. I'll be working on my AS degree in ornamental horticulture this year and I'm a cert. arborist. Any cool job titles you all can turn me on to and what would be required as far as education and experience. thanks a lot.

I'm a "Tree Warden" if that helps, City Arborist is the title I prefer. Education is good, experience is better, and good people skills are the most important IMO. I've been doing this job for 5 years now, I believe I would have been out of the tree business alltogether if I still had to labor for a living. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away..............

I saw a city guy yesterday in slacks and a white shirt marking trees. That's what I'm looking for.

WHY? how old are you? Not trying to be mean but this is one of the problems in our industry, fresh outta college kid with a lil knowledge paintin some trees is gonna tell a 20+yr vet. how to do his job!!!!

Dont you think this job would be/should be offered to the guy/gal who has been in the field & close to retirement, I mean damn! so & so is 58 been trimming for 30-40yrs. how about letting him do this? he could explain to the customers alot better than you ever will about the trimming program.

Nothing like newbees wanting the easy work, Companies are gonna take a hit sooner or later, lets run our veterans into the ground, give the cozy jobs to fresh outta college young kids & not train anybody for the future!!!!

What happened to start at the bottom & work your way up? This might be mean! but I have no respect for someone who wants to wear slacks & paint trees & then thinks their part of the tree care field, unless your DISABLED then I can understand!! but if your not look elsewhere!! Sorry if this seems cruel but this field doesnt need tree painters, not a good future for one with a college degree.

LXT....................

WHY? how old are you? Not trying to be mean but this is one of the problems in our industry, fresh outta college kid with a lil knowledge paintin some trees is gonna tell a 20+yr vet. how to do his job!!!!

Dont you think this job would be/should be offered to the guy/gal who has been in the field & close to retirement, I mean damn! so & so is 58 been trimming for 30-40yrs. how about letting him do this? he could explain to the customers alot better than you ever will about the trimming program.

Nothing like newbees wanting the easy work, Companies are gonna take a hit sooner or later, lets run our veterans into the ground, give the cozy jobs to fresh outta college young kids & not train anybody for the future!!!!

What happened to start at the bottom & work your way up? This might be mean! but I have no respect for someone who wants to wear slacks & paint trees & then thinks their part of the tree care field, unless your DISABLED then I can understand!! but if your not look elsewhere!! Sorry if this seems cruel but this field doesnt need tree painters, not a good future for one with a college degree.

LXT....................

C'mon LXT, he said he has many years of experience already and is back in school. I took a similar career path myself. Worked my way up from the bottom and excelled at every turn. I'm sure the guy marking trees in the field also sets policies, and shade tree ordinances, and probably is responsible for multiple crews. In my experience a healty balance of education and experience is the most important thing.
After all if you were to write a specification or a policy and you used the wrong form of "their" or "your" think of what a moron you would look like!:monkey:

I do apologize!! I did not read his bio. I did read he said he had exp. but a lot of guys c`mon here & say such with 2-4yrs exp. thinking thats alot.

I dont be-grudge anyone a career/path change, but it is offensive when a young person wants the easy job!!! NOT saying beastmaster is young or wants the easy job!!

accept my apology beastmaster, I read many posts like what you wrote & most if not all are from 18-24yr olds wantin the easy road, sorry to have assumed you fell into this category!!!!

I stand by what I said as far as the younger generations work ethics & the way companies are doing things. where I live tree painters are also permit people & they get no respect, usually young & right out of ACRT program.

Again I apologize!!!!

LXT..............

OTG, I tried a few years ago to get info on the tree warden program, I live in PA but just wanted to sit in or go through the training! any info would be helpful PM me with info if you would.

thanks

LXT............

Me and my crew were making jokes about the city guy in the slacks and white shirt when we seen him, but on the flip side I guess I was a little envious too. I Love climbing, that's what I do. We have 5 other climbers and their all under 25. I'll be 50 this summer. I do the most difficult, dangerous, or technical stuff still because I am the most experienced. But at the end of the day when those youngsters are talking about what their going to be doing that night, I go home tired and lay on the couch for an hour. All the years I have as a climber, I have no type of retirement. I'll work tell the day I die probably. I Just have to be realistic, so the only commodity I have is my years of experience in the tree business. So that's why I'm going back to school and looking for a position in the tree industry that I can thrive in, do well and be an asset to who ever I work for. I like to think I've paid my dues, and if any one deserves to where slacks and a whit shirt and walk around with a can of tree paint, I think I do. Thank you all for your input. No apologies needed I agree with you all

Last edited:
yes you have paid your dues!! and it is the people like yourself who deserve the positions you speak of good luck!!

LXT...........

Good luck to you Beastmaster. I was out in Cali last month on the Sonoma Coast and got the chance to watch a climber take down a good sized Redwood from over a cabin. I noticed he was a little older and he was an excellent climber. When he came down I talked to him for a few minutes and found out he was 60 years old. I love to see the older guys still doing it. Makes me believe I have a few years of climbing left in me. I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

I would rather see a seasoned climber that has paid his dues get the cushy jobs as well. Especially if they are willing to put the effort into educating themselves to qualify for the job.

Best of luck to you!

I would rather see a seasoned climber that has paid his dues get the cushy jobs as well.

This is a problem I run into often, fellow Arborists seem to think they understand what everyone elses job is about. There are days when I wish I was back in the field dealing with one tree at a time, instead of multiple projects, contracts, personalities, etc. For instance my job is high stress and the furthest thing from "cushy" there is. Picture being on call 24-7-365, answering to people who do not GAF about trees, explaining to complete morons why trees are good..........To me "cushy" is driving a log truck:)

Beastmaster,
With your experience you might look into the PHC field. It gives a mix of work, diagnostics and public education which might be interesting to you. Just an idea from a 60 year old who still likes to climb, but is migrating to other things.

Beastmaster

I do not blame ya one bit. You have paid your dues and then some and getting a slacks position may be the answer as long as you can tolerate the bureaucracy and politics that are usually involved with jobs like that. My Grandpa climbed until he was about 62 and 60 for my Dad, they were both 40- year + climbers and neither one of them had a stellar retirement if any at all aside from what they had saved and invested. Let your brain guide your heart and you won't go wrong. Good luck to ya and best wishes.

LXT....................
Exactly a point I have been making for many years experience should count for more.

I'm a "Tree Warden" if that helps, City Arborist is the title I prefer. Education is good, experience is better, and good people skills are the most important IMO. I've been doing this job for 5 years now, I believe I would have been out of the tree business alltogether if I still had to labor for a living. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away..............

Now, I haven't hear that one before - "Tree Warden" - LOL

Sounds like something the Brits would say :)

One aspect that someone might try, is getting a job with a big tree nursery like Big Trees Today in Oregon that specializes in growing and moving the big trees with a spade.

Or working for other huge tree movers.

They must have several arborists on staff to prepare the trees, select trees worth buying and taking from yards to store, and during establishment years.

After almost 50 yrs. of tree work, I"ll still take trims & removals over pencil pushing. Still love the great outdoors & daily change of scenery over the office atmosphere ! I've turned that end over to my son & I wish him luck. I like action, running the ropes ( save the climber or bucket operator ) , chippers , roaring saws , stump grinding & most of all, teaching. Yes, showing the new guys how to be safe & hopefully happy. All the mistakes I've made, so maybe it won't cost them thier lives or a serious injury ! Kick-backs, flying objects, barber-chairs, railing, stressed limbs, kick-outs, double-tie ins & above all BE AWARE AT ALL TIMES. Climbers or bucket operators don't always SEE YOU , so look out for them & hopefully we all go home , injury free! Watch out while working around that chipper, don't get caught or hit your buddy with that limb feed. Find a good life path & stick with it ! Enjoy what you do & be proud of yourself. Being one of the BEST at your life's choosen path. Good luck & best wishes !

Now, I haven't hear that one before - "Tree Warden" - LOL

Sounds like something the Brits would say :)

http://www.masstreewardens.org/ check it out, oldest tree preservation organization in the country.......I believe the "Tree Warden" title is a regional thing (New England), the association toyed with the idea of changing the name a while back, but in the end tradition won out.

I would think a larger company might welcome your expertice as a dispatcher/office manager/equipment coordinator with the capability of helping out as whatever when needed.

Or move here and drive a bus for $100G a year. No kidding. And do tree work on the side.

Back