Tree cabling - thru limbs vs loops, which is better/preferred?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeHgr7

Reaction score
I've had two certified Arborists, both with over 30 years experience, come out to look at some mature White Ash trees on my property. Two of the trees have split crotches and need to be cabled. One Arborist says they will use loops around the two limbs; the other Arborist says they drill thru the limbs to run the cables. The first Arborist said if you hire someone else, make sure they don't drill through the limbs or it will stress the tree. He also said that the "thru limb" method is more expensive.

Which method is best/preferred? Thanks for any advice you can provide on this.

Your first arborist is full of it. Drilling is the recommended method. A loop will grow into the tree, causing girdling issues.
Thank you for your input. He (the first Arborist) did comment that they would need to come out every 3-5 years to inspect and adjust the cables/loops (for a cost).

I believe your arborist are talking about two different types of cabling. You've said that the crotches are already split, so you would want a static system most likely. Dynamic is often the better system.

What is the difference between static and dynamic tree cabling?

The problems encountered with static systems are decay at points of installation in the tree, and the resulting rigidity in the tree structure that prevents the tree from flexing to accommodate mechanical stresses. Dynamic cable systems allow trees to naturally flex and will not cause additional damage.

I've had two certified Arborists, both with over 30 years experience, come out to look at some mature White Ash trees on my property. Two of the trees have split crotches and need to be cabled. One Arborist says they will use loops around the two limbs; the other Arborist says they drill thru the limbs to run the cables. The first Arborist said if you hire someone else, make sure they don't drill through the limbs or it will stress the tree. He also said that the "thru limb" method is more expensive.

Which method is best/preferred? Thanks for any advice you can provide on this.
Since they are white ash I would say you better be treating them for EAB or it will not make any difference.

Back