Need expert advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We worked on a similar set up at Katrina...crane was not an option. We belayed off a nearby tree, cut and roped chunks back to the roof line, then used a winch to lift tree off house while a tractor gave it a side pull. Once clear of the house (about 2 feet away) we started lowering the trunk (about 38 feet) with the winch.

Like TM says, watch the root/stump. Ours was still attached and when we first started lowering, the trunk slowly moved back towards the house. I had to nibble away at the tensioned holding where the tree had broken at the base to negate the pull towards the house. Once that pulling wood was released we coordinated the winch lowering with the tractor pulling and set it down right beside the house.

My first 2 picts, of the overall tree and the belay tree, won't post properly...AS software says the "attachment is in progress"...will try them separately.

Thought it would look much worse, there looks like enough trees around to set up some rigging to hold the trunk while you cut it. I would set up my holding lines in the trees around it, cut every bit of non holding weight off the fallen tree and then cut it free of the house with a block just below the roof line. After it is cut free, continue to block off until below the phone line and then lower to the ground and block it up. I understand the crane not wanting to get in there with the power lines so close. Be careful the phone line does not spring up on the last cut near it. If that phone line is under that much tension, you might want to call them to unbolt it from the pole until you finish the job, instead of risking it breaking but they are usually supported by 3/8 steel cable and it should not be an issue as long as the trunk is tied off to not drop suddenly. Take your time and be careful.

Nice work Pantheraba, good to see the old school block and tackle still being used, too many newbies spoiled by cranes and loaders and do not know how to do it the old school way before we had that stuff, but I will still use it whenever I can. :)

Thank you all for the advice. It says a lot for people to be willing to take the time to help a stranger. I'll pass it along sometime I hope.

I was over there today, finishing cleanup. I was removing desbris and limbs, making small careful cuts at the tree. I got the top right down near the edge of the roof.....clearing sawdust and branches from underneath. I noticed the log didn't seem to be even resting on the house. I gave the log a easy push with my foot.....it seems that the base is supporting the rest of the tree !

Yeeeehaw ! I'm 95% sure this is the case, just to be safe I'll still use the crane tomorrow. Man, what a load has been lifted (parden the pun), after doing a lot of cleanup, it seems to be much more manageable.

I just purchased a new Stihl MS 460 Magnum with a 32 inch bar for this job. I haven't named her yet. LOL.

Thanks again, I'm very grateful for the help.

Nice pics Pantheraba, much more skillful than what I could do. I usually pass on jobs that require that type of rigging. It's time for me to bite the bullet and get it down.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can get info on rigging the heavy ones ?

With leverage we can move the world

Soooo, today I went to the local Vermeer Dealer and got me some nice toys. I cancelled the crane, hooked up a bull rope and pulley into the standing tree, tied a running bowline on the butt log......and wrapped the rope around another tree.

Cut the bottom, started down the top, put a wedge in and bingo.....it was on the ground. All the while breaking in my new chainsaw which wasn't ideal but had to be done. Here is the aftermath...

Chronic1 said:
Soooo, today I went to the local Vermeer Dealer and got me some nice toys. I cancelled the crane, hooked up a bull rope and pulley into the standing tree, tied a running bowline on the butt log......and wrapped the rope around another tree.

Aren't YOU the cat's meow...very cool. Sounds like very good rigging.

Keep on being safe. :cool:

Congratulations on getting the work complete!

We knew you'd find a way.

You must tell us what's up with all of the butchered up wood.

Is that a new form of the snap cut? :dizzy:

Anyhow nice work, hope you got paid well.

TreeJunkie said:
Congratulations on getting the work complete!

We knew you'd find a way.

You must tell us what's up with all of the butchered up wood.

Is that a new form of the snap cut? :dizzy:

Anyhow nice work, hope you got paid well.

That's funny. Not too pretty but effective. LOL. I was just so friggin happy to get that beast on the ground. Thanks again.

Back