Need help determining if this 201TC is M-Tronic or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just replaced a defective solenoid valve on my Stihl ms 201 c-m. It took about 5 minutes including 90 seconds reset

Attachments

• IMG_8499.jpeg
    IMG_8499.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8497.jpeg
    IMG_8497.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
My Stihl ms 201 c-m has gone dead again, lastly replaced solenoid valve-filter-tank breather valve-spark plug-membranes in carburettor. It starts fine, but when used in logs it dies after about 10-20 seconds,,? however, can be started again immediately and dies again after 10-20 seconds..What to do? just ordered a new ignition coil but don't know if that's the problem?? Etc. Erik

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
My Stihl ms 201 c-m has gone dead again, lastly replaced solenoid valve-filter-tank breather valve-spark plug-membranes in carburettor. It starts fine, but when used in logs it dies after about 10-20 seconds,,? however, can be started again immediately and dies again after 10-20 seconds..What to do? just ordered a new ignition coil but don't know if that's the problem?? Etc. Erik
Check the wiring harness for continuity and inspect for any worn spots that could ground out. It certainly could be the coil though. A video of it doing this could maybe help.

The screen in the carb could be plugged

Found a black wire with no connection and pulled a new brown one to solder together with black,,"don't feel like taking the whole saw apart to replace the wiring harness" also had the ignition coil replaced,,so if it doesn't run properly I'll throw it away in the lake..best New Year greetings Erik the lazy electrician.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0390.jpeg
    IMG_0390.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Found a black wire with no connection and pulled a new brown one to solder together with black,,"don't feel like taking the whole saw apart to replace the wiring harness" also had the ignition coil replaced,,so if it doesn't run properly I'll throw it away in the lake..best New Year greetings Erik the lazy electrician.
Well run it with the old coil first with the wire repaired so we know what it was if its fixed

I keep the old ignition coil as a spare and expect it to be ok, wiring faults were only measured when the new one was installed, it seemed like a crap job to replace the coil. It will be exciting to test drive it when the repair is over. Best regards Erik

I measured from the marked areas on the wire and there was no connection, the "kill switc" is not located near the measuring area..

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Hope I can make it work, as I have just bought a practice stack of beech wood in the state forest..

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpeg
    IMG_0350.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
The small but fantastic 201er can easily fix it, it has done that several times before, but of course has our big brother, an 18-year-old Stihl 026..

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Then my favorite saw works again, it was not a wiring fault "the black wire with no connection was for the kill switch. Found an old stump from a fallen tree and tested without it stalling. the conclusion: bad ignition coil..Best regards and Happy newyear. Erik

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpeg
    IMG_0379.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Then my favorite saw works again, it was not a wiring fault "the black wire with no connection was for the kill switch. Found an old stump from a fallen tree and tested without it stalling. the conclusion: bad ignition coil..Best regards and Happy newyear. Erik
Do you think that maybe you should acknowledge my earlier post?

My two favorite saws do an excellent job even with a good size stack. The new ignition coil on the Ms 201c-m has solved the problem of stalling...

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Back