Need help looking for a used super split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwilliams

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Alright guy been looking for a used super split for a bit now. Soon as they hit Craigslist they are gone Do any of you know any that are in the northeast forsale or thinking of selling your own. Please let me know. Thanks john

I hardly ever see them for sale used, and when I do they aren't that much cheaper than new and they sell almost instantly. Have you considered just going new? New models have some nice features like Honda engine standard, heavier flywheels on certain models and the option of the extra wide production table.

They are out there but you have to keep looking and a lot of the time the price is close enough to new you just as well spend a little more and buy new. I did pickup a older model on Facebook market place this late fall for a buddy of mind. I was on market place and a older guy had just listed it. He had bought it new and had only used it on his own three or four cord a year. Buddy drove six hours the next day to pick it up. Its a nice splitter. Bought that one for half of what a similar new model is.

I haven’t nor have any interest. I’ve watched a few videos on them, Just not for me.
Than your post makes no sense. Like many have said they are not the best splitter ever built (best kinetic) but they blow away your box store hydraulics. They are the most efficient you are going to find for $3k. I'll upgrade to a more commercial splitter like an eastonmade with the box wedge at some point but they are in completely different categories.

The SS are limited by how big a round can be lifted, but so aren’t comparably fast stand alone hydraulic units until you spend 8-10 grand. Big rounds get noodled or hand split into manageable sized pieces. I’ve yet to see a hydraulic machine in the same price range as a SS that is close to as fast. I’m talking stand alone units. People love throwing their 3 point splitter in the mix that requires a tractor to run it. The truly impressive stand alone hydraulic machines like EM, TW, and WR are all big $$$. Like 3 times the cost of a SS. I should start bragging that a Hellcat is quicker than a Corolla, or that a ful blown processor is quicker than a Eastonmade Axis.

Than your post makes no sense. Like many have said they are not the best splitter ever built (best kinetic) but they blow away your box store hydraulics. They are the most efficient you are going to find for $3k. I'll upgrade to a more commercial splitter like an eastonmade with the box wedge at some point but they are in completely different categories.
Cycle time means nothing when it takes multiple hits to achieve what a hydro does in one cycle. Softwood, straight grained hardwood, no doubt they’re faster. Large hickory, gum and/or nasty knots they won’t keep up from the videos I’ve seen. I also don’t sell firewood typically so I’m not worried about the speed.

You know what happens when I get a piece of elm? I go from half throttle to full throttle and it splits it in 1 hit. I don't split softwood. My firewood is elm, oak, box elder, sugar maple, basswood. In my picture above you can see where it cut right through the knots on sugar maple. That wood ain't soft. I don't sell firewood either and I can't outwork the SS by myself.

I can't help but notice all the guys who parrot the "Super Splits are only good for straight grained softwood popsicle sticks" all have one thing in common. THEY'VE NEVER EVEN TRIED ONE!!!

I split amongst a wide variety of types and sizes of wood. Red Oak, White Oak, Shagbark Hickory, Black Birch, Rock Maple, Red Maple, Cherry, Black Locust, even Elm occasionally. If I can get the round onto the beam, it splits, and I have the video to prove it. For me personally that's typically about a 20" diameter x 20" long round or around 200-250 lbs. Anything over about 20" I noodle or hand split.

So please, stop parroting things you've read or heard other guys say who have also never run a SS. If you don't have any first hand experience with the item, stop saying it sucks in a thread specifically about it.

You guys sound like fools

Alright guys didn’t think this would turn into much of an argument was just looking for a used supersplit. My stuff is oak ,ash, cherry , and some maple. If it’s too heavy to lift I noodle. But most of my stuff is 10-20” stuff so I’m not much concerned about big huge rounds. But thanks again guys

Alright guys didn’t think this would turn into much of an argument was just looking for a used supersplit. My stuff is oak ,ash, cherry , and some maple. If it’s too heavy to lift I noodle. But most of my stuff is 10-20” stuff so I’m not much concerned about big huge rounds. But thanks again guys

Its unfortunate, but every time a Super Split thread comes up, someone feels the need to say how bad they suck, and then admits they've never used one. As you can imagine it gets pretty irritating. These sort of actions should be called out.

Sorry if you feel your thread got derailed.

You'll likely be fine. Even on larger pieces, 20" +. On species such as White Oak or Hickory, keep a hatchet handy to cut through any stringy stuff that the wedge doesn't cut when pushing a piece through the wedge. This will make pulling the pieces back to be split again much easier as compared to fighting to pull the entire round back or fighting to physically separate the pieces.

Also be aware of any slivers or loose pieces that may be on the beam when resplitting pieces. Getting something wedged between the pusher and the beam can bring things to a halt for a spell until you get the rack freed up.

When splitting knots/crotches and you have to hit the piece more than once, pay attention to how its being pushed through the wedge. If you notice it starting to twist, stop hitting it and re-orient the piece. Continual hits will eventually bind up the rack and you'll have to beat the piece back off the wedge to free up the rack.

I'm one of the oddballs that went back to a hydro, but I went to a $10,000 commercial unit. I loved the SS, everything about it except the amount of input needed from the operator to keep up with it. Its best suited to be manned by at least 3 people in order to realize its full production potential. Its willing... if your capable of feeding it.

I once heard of a guy who told about his friend who said his cousin once saw an ad for a used super split.

I also can split most anything on my SS, and I have the 'weaker' version. But it takes several hits to get through really hard crotches and nasty wood. I usually don't bother with that anyway, since I have abundant access to all kinds of wood.

I have had my SS for 11 years. That what they told me when I ordered a new engagement rod and guide this week. Took 11 years to wear thru a piece of 1/4 rod. I'm out like $20 plus shipping.

So my Axis is supposed to arrive next month. Had thoughts of selling the SS, but I just don't think I can do it. Been that good a machine and paid for near everything I have now for firewood. Best of luck in your search, if ya see one best move fast.

-CB

Back