Need Help Mice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hansenj11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have had this problem for this last year where the mice have been getting in all of my equipment. I just gone done fixing my Kubota ZD323 where they had chewed the fuel pump electric line. This was in my garage. It had taken me 2 days to figure out this problem. I took all the fuel out and changed all of the filter before i figured it out. Last year the mice had chewed the electric line in the same Kubota, i had this one in a tarp house and therefore had moved in to the garage.
What i cant understand is that there is one more mower in the garage that they never touch. It just baffels my mind. :angry2:

They probably prefer Kubota to make a house in over the competition. Probably cheaper roomier living costs:laugh::laugh:
What you can do is put moth balls in it when you store it for the winter

A couple of cats lured into the garage every a.m. with a bowl of milk , and they'll rid you of the mice problem.

Victor's traps (the original basic type) and a jar of peanut butter. Never fails, traps and PB are cheap. Tried the cat thing once, but then that created a whole other problem.

Victor's traps (the original basic type) and a jar of peanut butter. Never fails, traps and PB are cheap. Tried the cat thing once, but then that created a whole other problem.

Yeh, the peanut butter works for awhile till they figure out how to lick it off the trigger w/o tripping it.

i prefer the marlin 22 lr and red dot scope, gives them a fighting chance.. so what if it leaves a few holes in the garage door..:msp_biggrin:

i got a few holes in the barn this way....shooting possums and such some bird etc. darn sheet metal just does stop them there bullets..:)
i watched my neighbor shoot rats with his bow inside his barn....
he's a good shot, i used to be but haven't shot bows in years..i am better with a gun...faster reload..:msp_wink:

i got a few holes in the barn this way....shooting possums and such some bird etc. darn sheet metal just does stop them there bullets..:)
he's a good shot, i used to be but haven't shot bows in years..i am better with a gun...faster reload..:msp_wink:

:clap: That's badass!!! :rock: Never heard of someone doing that.

had a friend that the rats got so bad in his barn ( got into his seed corn) ruined six pallets full.. anyhow we took pitch forks and chose a hole in the floor, hooked the hose up and started pumping water under the slab until they popped up and stabbed them with the forks, we got 67 rats in a hour that night..thats the worst i had seen..:msp_thumbup:

:clap: That's badass!!! :rock: Never heard of someone doing that.

anyhow he is the one that taught me how to shoot.. we used to shoot tournaments. i have seen the old boy shoot a quarter hanging by a string at fifty yards in the wind...
:rock:

We had a nest of field mice in the garage and house. We tried glue traps and they worked, but they were too many mice. Rat poison in pellets and blocks works great. Gone within a week. (Salty sweet smell of decaying mice lasts about two weeks.)

We keep blocks in the garage year round now and have had no problems since.

We had a nest of field mice in the garage and house. We tried glue traps and they worked, but they were too many mice. Rat poison in pellets and blocks works great. Gone within a week. (Salty sweet smell of decaying mice lasts about two weeks.)

We keep blocks in the garage year round now and have had no problems since.

yeh, but where's the sport in that?...:hmm3grin2orange:

yeh, but where's the sport in that?...:hmm3grin2orange:

heehee! I'm thinking about sitting in front of the TV in my underwear, watching football, drinking beer, eating hot wings, and shooting mice with a Marlin 60...

...but then I awaken and realize that there's also a woman in my house who would highly disapprove.

Oh well, one can dream. :cheers:

I hate cats.Hate em with a passion. Stems from when I was a kid and got my first beagle puppy.I had picked strawberries,black caps, and cucumbers most of the summer to earn enough for that pup, and had every intention of turning that pup into the best hunting dog you ever seen. A couple of days after getting that pup she followed me into the barn and the old tom cat that lived there torn that dog to shreds when she sniffed the old tom in the butt out of curiosity. Turned me and the dog into instant cat haters. Until last fall that is.
A young tom showed up on our doorstep, and I was determined to haul that thing to the pound, but the wife and daughter wouldn't have it. They bathed it, pampered it, and I secretly plotted on his demise. Until I realized that all of a sudden we didn't have a mouse on the property.
Like everyone, we have a problem in the fall with the mice moving from the woods to under the house in the crawl space, and some find a way into the house. Had that problem since we bought this place, and every once in awhile we would catch one in a trap.Now, all of sudden, there wasnt one to be found anywhere except every morning we would find on or two on the back steps. Seems the old tom hunted at night and left his catch on the back door to let us know he was earning his keep.
I taught our lab to leave him alone, built him his own little house on the back deck, and he gets fed regular and even been to the vet. When its cold outside, he sleeps in the laundry room. Heck, if you watch carefully, you might even catch me petting the dang thing.Named him Bill (you know, Bill the Cat).
Yep, get you a cat. Get a tom cat from the pound, get him his shots, and don't feed him too much to keep him hungry. A good cat is worth his weight in gold.

I second the moth balls during storage. The balls I get have a loop of string attached (maybe they all do?) for hanging. Hang one under the hood, one under the seat and one under the machine... no more mice/rat vandalism.

I have a friend, lives down the road, he's sort of a hobby-farmer. He picks (rather than combines) his small corn field and when it comes time to shell corn there's usually rats a-running. He's come up with a novel (if not fun) way of dealing with them...
He positions 4 lawn mowers (two riders, two walk-behind) around the work area, running a bit over idle, with the discharge chutes pointing towards the work area. When them rats come running out they're lookin' for the nearest dark hole to hide in... kind'a makes ya' smile when ya' hear them blades choppin' rat flesh.

You don't need to use solid nose .22 ammo.
Get a box of .22 cal Birdshot. Does not hurt a thing inside the barn, but is deadly on rats, snakes, birds, and mice. I'd show a pic, but don't know how from this iPhone .

After they chewed the wiring harnes on my truck and tractors, I started keeping Havoc bait in all my equipment. I take one of those plastic containers that electrical tape comes in, remove the lid, and put the bait in there. I secure it with double back tape to the bottom, stick it somewhere rain won't get to it, and leave it there year round.
Top off the bait as they eat it. It also won't spill out when working the equipment.
Haven't had a problem since I started doing that.

Back