Need help on two different Cyprus Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archi1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I was looking at putting a bald cyprus in my front yard. It would get full sunlight. However I was concerned about a few things. First off, how are the root systems? Are they confined or are they invasive spreaders? I have a sprinkler system to be concerned about. Also, how close can I plant this to my house? I was hoping to put it about 10 feet from the house. Knowing it can get up to 70' tall, would I be nuts to do this?
Next tree- My alternative to the bald cyprus is an ornamental leyland cyprus. I know these trees are like night and day when it comes to size etc. That doesn't matter to me. What does is that I don't know very much technical stuff about these except I like that they can be sheared and kept very nice. Please tell me about these trees. How much sun do they need, what are their root systems like? How tall can they get. Any good or bad info. would be appreciated.
Thanks

The Bald Cypress is a superior tree and will grow in your area-hopefully someone else (like Heartland) who works in your area can give detailed advice. I would strongly advise planting further than 10 feet from your house.

Revised info

I just measured where I want the tree to go and it's 15' from my house and about 8' from main water supply and sprinkler lines?
Would that work for a bald cyprus? Also, do these trees form the root 'knees' in the Texas area or is this mostly in low lying wetlands?
Thanks

Go with the bald!! T. distichum is a great tree. There are varieties. I would avoid a "pond cypress" from Louisiana or other swampy areas and try to stick with a cultivar from west of I-35 if you can find one. I prefer those from the Guadalupe or the upper Colorado. I say this mainly because they are tolerant of basic soils (they grow in limestone), whereas varieties from east can get a bit chloric looking on basic soils.

My understanding and observation is that as long as your yard is not a swamp, you should not have knees.

I realize Dallas may not be as basic as Austin but I know it is not real acidic either.

Due to the cold in Dallas, I would stay away from a Montezuma Cypress (T.muncronatum), the evergreen version of bald cypress.

Good luck!!

Yeah, and if I were planting a tree, I would wait until October or November. Why plant one now and have to hold a hose on it through a hot, dry Dallas summer? Roots grow in the winter. That way your tree will establish itself over the winter and be ready to start growing when springtime hits next year.

Latest posts

Back