Need help splitting case on my 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He also didn't mention removing the gasket or shaving the cylinder base, and if so there's also that "squish" part.

I was going to remove the base gasket but the new one is much much thinner than the old one. I guess I mistated the part about the exhaust. The top part of the camphered edge was approximatley 1mm from the original height of the port. Sorry, Its a little hard to decribe what you've done without pics. I need to buy a better camera that will take clear close up pictures so I can show my work. Hope you will bear with me as its still all a learning experience for me. I did the same thing on my Dolmar 120 exhaust, but I did remove the gasket on this saw. It didn't have a dramatic effect on the compression but it flat screams in the wood! It's all trial and error from here. I'll let you know how it goes.

cool,,,, keep us posted on how it performs,,, Iam curious as to what the final compression #'s are because I am adoutr to try a similar mod to one of my 066's... Is that carbide tool a stone and where did you get it??? also did you widen the exhaust port a mm on each side or open the bottom of the transfer ports ?????

My compression tester is just a cheapy but I will give you the compress #'s later tonight if I have time to fire it up still. As to the widening of the exhaust port, no I didn't widen them but I did transition the bottom of the transfers a bit. That tree was a 60+ foot pin oak. Here's a couple of pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We got thirteen slabs out of it total. Thats my 066 running 3/8's on a 48" granburg. 12-14 minutes per cut average on 32"-40" wide 8' long slabs.

Ok heres' the verdict. Fired it up. let it warm up a bit very low rpm's and idle. Turned it off and it fired right up again let it idle a bit and adjusted the idle til it was smooth. gave it a half a dozen or so mid range rpm bursts then shut her down. Pulled the muffler and here's what I saw 1 hair line scratch down half of the piston. can't be felt with my fingernail though, and a couple of slightly worn splotches at the bottom of the piston measuring a couple of mm squared. Rings seem to be without scar or blemish. What do you guys think are these? major flaws or what ? Or better question what would you do? One thing I have learned is always use an old piston when experimenting. Do you think that the damage was done on the initial combustion cycle removing a couple of areas that I missed or that it will continue to progress? Man I need that camera.

It's probably o.k.. (but a pic would really help!). A hairline scratch after a few busts - heck that piston traveled up a down a few thousand times...

Thanks kinda what I thought but I didn't fire it back up just had to make sure!
Thanks guys. If I can get a pic to come out I will post one , but my camera really sucks at close ups.

I agree with Andy

It probably OK,,, a Pic would be nice, could you see anything stuck in the ring groove in line with the scratch????? Thats why I like to basline the compression #'s also, if you take the first set cold Write them down & number them, do em the same way every time,,,, run a few tanks through let it cool off than check them again they ought to be as good or a little better,,, if it was mine I'd have another look @ the piston one more time, also if you take a pic the first time you dont have to try to remember if it got worse or how much worse,,,, chances are if you didnt hang a ring with those first few burst, and if the scratch doesnt intensify then your port work is probably,,, good to go, and you've got yourself a good runner there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The cold compression test read 158 psi. I will fire it back up today and take another after it warms up.:clap: BTW this thing sounds like Bad#@% saw.

Last edited:
After it warmed up to normal operating temp the compression was 145psi two times in a row. Wanted to see how consistent the guage would be and it read the same. Put on the tach and set it up at about 12500rpm. It runs really well now. Here's a couple of pics of what it looks like after the mods.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well now after a couple of tanks of fuel she starts, runs, cuts smoooooooooth, and idles Great! I am one happy camper! A Million Thanks to you all!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Nice work Lumber, she sure looks like a runner to me. How 'bout a .wav file of how she sounds...:laugh:

Thanks to Lake and the rest for the info, I've been feeding off this for my tear down/rebuild. I've got my 371 down to bare case with crank and 'bout ready to attempt a redneck splittin' operation utilizing Lake's and Lumber's homemade tools as inspirations. Along those lines I'd like to second Lake's request for a Husky thread along these lines..... please:help: for a 371/372/365 xp would be just awsome.:bowdown: Of course I'll be to assembly by then, but could use any words of wisdom. Like what NOT to do.:bang: :bang: :laugh: I have a tendancy to get impatient.

Yes, I also want to see Husky posts! I have to work on them now and then, and need to quit faking it!

Last edited:
Uh oh....So I should check to see if you put an 066 piston in that 353, err 346.....

Cindy said you faked something in a back room last nite.....bad boy bad boy.....must be a Kiwi thing...:rockn:

Nice work Lumber, she sure looks like a runner to me. How 'bout a .wav file of how she sounds...:laugh:

Here you go see if this works

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43f44d58m6b9874d4/bc/My+Documents/chainsaw/jerrys.wav?BC0WVqFBb.GJdGpC

It worked when I previewed it, so I think it should be good. I have it a little on the rich side still, but as soon as you put it in the wood it immediately stops the four stroking or burbling. I'm trying to get my video of it up so you can see it cut too. Wish me luck.

I'm working on #2, an Ebay Red Light Special. Torn down, just recieved the parts today. I bought some of that paint that lake was talking about earlier in the thread. Gonna paint it up before I put it back together this time. I'll put up some pics of that one too. Let me know if the .wav doesn't work.-chad

Here you go see if this works

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43f44d58m6b9874d4/bc/My+Documents/chainsaw/jerrys.wav?BC0WVqFBb.GJdGpC

It worked when I previewed it, so I think it should be good. I have it a little on the rich side still, but as soon as you put it in the wood it immediately stops the four stroking or burbling. I'm trying to get my video of it up so you can see it cut too. Wish me luck.

I'm working on #2, an Ebay Red Light Special. Torn down, just recieved the parts today. I bought some of that paint that lake was talking about earlier in the thread. Gonna paint it up before I put it back together this time. I'll put up some pics of that one too. Let me know if the .wav doesn't work.-chad

Nope - doesn't work.. Just attach it.

Back