Need help to ID this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have no idea what this tree is, it's magnificent, and I have just done some work on it and have to do a report because the idiots trenched through the root zone for some new steps.
I have some pictures but I need to resize them first, but here is an overall description:

It is about 60' tall, mature, having been a specimen in an old established merchant garden.
It is deciduous, and the picture shows it just coming back into leaf after a windy winter, the left hand side had more mature foliage but we did have a lot of SW gales this winter which is why the right side got hammered.
The bark is thick and fissured, with platey bits dropping off.
The foliage is mid green, new foliage has a reddish tint, the leaves are arranged in whorls with the very short petioles being reddish on new growth. Leaf shape is obovate (wider at the tip than base)
There are thorns on the twigs and branches, tucked in behind the leaves, about 1" long

Any help would be appreciated!

Handsome tree. Need closeup of twig and leaf.

What points does the report cover?

Are the thorns fake like or sharp as a pin pics of twigs
leaves bark; black oak ? but thorns some times
they have thorn like growth, close up please!

Last edited:
Ok, ok !!!

Here are more pictures, I went and got a twig today but didn't I leave it on the dock!!! I'll get it and post later. It has the beginnings of flowers, groups of short (2-3") upward facing panicles, light greenish/yellow not at all showy.

The picture of the leaves doesn't show the thorns, but they are located as a pair just below the nodes, straight, thin and sharp about 1" long.
The sucker growth is to the right of the picture, there are some other leaves mixed in that anre much darker and smaller, ignore those.

The report will address the overall health of the tree, the short and possible long term consequences of the trenching, recommendations for mitigation of the trenching, and treatment of the root zone and ongoing monitoring for the next five years at least.

Here....

getting closer!

Thats the closest yet Elmore, thanks. I've looked it up on some other searches, the pictures they show don't show it the size that mine is, I'll try and get my closeup pics of the flowers and leaves and a better one of the trunk up here soon (can't find my camera just now!)
Thanks again for your input!!:rock:

bo

Bermie...surely that tree in question is the Bucida Buceras.Because of its' agressive root system and staining capabilities it has fallen out of favor in most South Fla. communities. While not listed as a nuisance tree, it is no longer permitted to be planted in some locales.
Don

Back