Need Help with a Briggs and Stratton engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Throttle Spring Checked and Bought New Again

Heh Fellas I just thought about something concerning my problem with the Briggs and Stratton.I think the replacement part I got from the shop was not OME.I will go and check,seems I remember seeing Oregon on the package.If that spring is not the exact replacement part that could be the whole problem.
Lawrence

Okay I went and checked the throttle spring again and the packaging it came in.It is an original B&S part and according to all sources that I have read and asked it is the correct spring.But I slightly bent the new one I put on a few day's ago,so back to the shop and bought another one,same spring and part number.$9.00 with tax, I guess that's cheaper than a new lawnmower.I will try and stick it on tonight and let you fellas know the outcome
Thanks
Lawrence

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Fellas this for any of you who kindly replied to my dilemma.I don't want to step on toe's or seem the least bit ungrateful for all that you have done trying to help me fix this problem.BUT if you look at my past posts on this thread I have pretty much listed all that I have done to this carb and governor,linkage etc. to try and fix this.I have had a couple of replies that ask have I done this or that to fix the problem.If I have done it i think I have it listed in prior posts.
Again,I'm not trying to be ungrateful or appreciative to anyone
Many Thanks
Lawrence

I don`t think you read every post. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Rookie1

Rookie1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Okay I went and checked the throttle spring again and the packaging it came in.It is an original B&S part and according to all sources that I have read and asked it is the correct spring.But I slightly bent the new one I put on a few day's ago,so back to the shop and bought another one,same spring and part number.$9.00 with tax, I guess that's cheaper than a new lawnmower.I will try and stick it on tonight and let you fellas know the outcome
Thanks
Lawrence

I dont think a little bend is going to give you these problems but Ill wait and see what you come up with.:cheers:

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ooooppppssss!

I don`t think you read every post. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Okay, Jeeezzz I stand to be put in my place here don't I ! Your absolutely right I do not read every post in all the threads that I keep watch on.But I have been readying everyone on this thread LOL!
Thanks for keeping me honest Jerry!
Lawrence

Last edited:
AKDriveSprocket

AKDriveSprocket

ArboristSite Guru
Loosen the governor arm and move it towards the carb. There will be a happy medium in there ,you just have to find where. Start out by holding the carb at wide open and rotate the governor pin ccw all the way. This is how it should be set. Your holes in the carb and gov arm are probably worn out so you have to adjust the pin and arm on the governor. Mark the pin and arm so you can see how much you arm moving it.

Fish

Tree Freak
Maybe a little clarification is in order.
Remove the cable and leave it out of the loop for now.

The gov. is the air vane thingy under the cover, the faster the flywheel spins
the more air is forced against the gov/vane, and pushes it to lower the rpms.
The spring is what controls the rpms, so you bend the bracket like I showed in my pic to set it at the desired rpm.
You do not bend or distort the spring.

You pull the arm that the spring hooks to, bending it to increase the
tension on the spring.

If, after you have increased the rpms, and hands are off the engine, the engine rpms go up and down, called "hunting", then it is from a lean condition,
which may just mean you need to put on the air filter.
If that doesn't cure it, you either have a clog in the carb still, or it is sucking air from somewhere.

Latest posts