Need help with a Dirty Hand Tools Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToSplitters

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Back in March we purchased a home which has tons of logs which need cutting and splitting, refer to my profile photo. I purchased a used Dirty Hand Tools 28 ton splitter which had a “small leak”. Well, the small leak has developed into a full blown seal blow out. We live in the sticks in near Normandy, TN and a local shop to repair the leak is a remote option. I found a seal kit on Amazon and ordered it, but delivery continues to be delayed. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding DHT splitters, and/or seal kits for a 4.5” bore, 1.75 diameter cylinder, other than the fact it seems to be a POS? Should I fix it or junk it and buy something else?

Thanks for any relevant information.

Fix it. I'd try taking the seal(s) into a shop, auto/tractor/truck and see if they can find one of the right dimensions.

Looks like log splitter prices have gone up, and I have 2 neighbor that own and used DHT splitters and they have zero complaints.

Fix it. I'd try taking the seal(s) into a shop, auto/tractor/truck and see if they can find one of the right dimensions.

Looks like log splitter prices have gone up, and I have 2 neighbor that own and used DHT splitters and they have zero complaints.
Thanks for the info.

I would be tempted to measure the cylinder and see whats available new around you to just swap it out and be done with it then rebuild the cylinder later. I have had to file a to z claims several times this year using amazon to get refunded due to packages getting lost or delayed to free up the money to reorder. If its beyond the specified delivery time I would file today to reorder tomorrow or put it towards a new one or rebuilding that cylinder.
Try calling these guys, they are here in florida, 1-800-777-5617
they can likely make you a kit it if they do not have it bagged up as a kit already

I would be tempted to measure the cylinder and see whats available new around you to just swap it out and be done with it then rebuild the cylinder later. I have had to file a to z claims several times this year using amazon to get refunded due to packages getting lost or delayed to free up the money to reorder. If its beyond the specified delivery time I would file today to reorder tomorrow or put it towards a new one or rebuilding that cylinder.
Try calling these guys, they are here in florida, 1-800-777-5617
they can likely make you a kit it if they do not have it bagged up as a kit already
Thanks for the number. I did find a local guy who says he can fix it. He is out of town today so I will contact him tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks to you chainsaw/wood splitter guys out there. I have split a lot of wood with a maul, but I am new to hydraulic splitters. I must say I like the splitter much better, especially since I am getting up in years.

Latest posts

Back