Need help with hydraulics on my splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samcronkite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently my wood splitter died, and I need to fix it, so I plan on upgrading the motor to an 11 HP and the pump to a 22GPM.

I'm looking for a fast wood splitter, will a smaller diameter cylinder produce a faster splitter. I currnetly have a 4 in. cylinder with either 1 3/4 or 2 in. dia. rod. will this work?

If I have to buy a cylinder what pressure do I need 2500psi, 3000psi??

What size hoses will I need?

My cylinder needs to be rebuilt it leaks a little, where can I get parts?

How do auto cycle valves work? I'm interested in putting one on my splitter, but need to know more about them.

Any help with these questions, or where I can find the answers, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

The 4" bore with a 22 gpm pump will give you approx. 6 second cycle times. The pressure hoses should be a least 3/4". The suction hose should be 1 1/4". The cylinder can be either pressure rating as long as the relief valve is set appropriately. The 3000# rated cylinder will allow an additional 3 tons of pressure without exceeding ratings.

The repair parts for cylinders are probably brand specific.
If taking a cylinder in for rebuild make sure to get a max. cost estimate.

Recently my wood splitter died, and I need to fix it, so I plan on upgrading the motor to an 11 HP and the pump to a 22GPM.

I'm looking for a fast wood splitter, will a smaller diameter cylinder produce a faster splitter. I currnetly have a 4 in. cylinder with either 1 3/4 or 2 in. dia. rod. will this work?

providing you have everything beefed up enough. i watched a 1 3/4 rod bend because the slide wasn't sturdy enough and had way too much play in it.

If I have to buy a cylinder what pressure do I need 2500psi, 3000psi??

most cylinders are rated at 3000 psi.

What size hoses will I need?

your pump and control valve will determine hose size. generally they are 3/4 inch. be sure your fitting's holes are of the same size as well. if not, a smaller diameter hole will make a 3/4" hose useless.

My cylinder needs to be rebuilt it leaks a little, where can I get parts?

if you know the brand or the type, they are fairly easy to rebuild yourself. they are of simple construction and most new seals, etc can be bought on line.

check here:

http://www.cylinderservices.net/

How do auto cycle valves work? I'm interested in putting one on my splitter, but need to know more about them.

Prince makes an excellent one. "auto" means it will retract by itself. you don't want one that ever extends by itself....too dangerous no matter what anyone may tell you. check out northern tool for the Prince control valve.

Any help with these questions, or where I can find the answers, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

not a problem. would rather see you ask questions before you build than to ask after you build.

Back