Need HELP with mower choice??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unit44

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all - need some help with my choice of new walk behind lawn mower, here's my problem..... I currently have an 18 year old Honda HRM216 that's deck is cracked, crank is a little bent, tranny only powers one wheel, wheels all worn out (on 4th set) and a little down on power but still starts in 2 pulls! My yard is hilly, .7 acres and has alot to mow around (thanks to the wife) - I have looked at the new Honda's and they are great (but heavy) however I was wanting something to get my yard done a little faster then the current 21 inch cut but I don't have the room or $$ for one of the commercial 36 or bigger mowers? All the local shops here jump from 21 Inch to 36 inch... have any of you guys seen anything like a 24" I used to see these but can't find anything like that now? Also If I have to settle for a 21 or 22" How do the new Toro Super Recyclers? - they have some really nice features but I swore I would never own another Briggs engine after spending my entire childhood and teens trying to start the various Briggs powered machinery around our farm :angry: - the Honda's seem to always start in 1 or two pulls, my 12 year old daughter can start the Honda engine on my 37 ton wood splitter or mower in 1 or two pulls cold to I have alot of faith in em but am open to another engine if the quality is there.
TIA
Sean

Honda's great as always, but from what i understand Briggs has really came back as a great engine. I have a Husqvarna 23/48 ridin mower and I love it. As far as walk behind mowers, I really dont know. But dont give up on Briggs. :)

I would check out Sam's Wholesale. They have those mowers with the Honda engine. And thier price is prolly the best.

Check into the cheaper pseudo off brand commercial walk behinds like lesco and scag. IMO, theyre not quite up to the task of commercial work but great for a homeowner. Theyre usually alot cheaper than name brands like toro, bobcat, ect. And of course belt drive is always gonna be alot cheaper than hydro. I got a great deal on an old 61" cut bobcat hydro walk behind. It visually looked rode hard & put away wet. Only $1800, it's got a 17 horse kawasaki motor and has been running great for years now. Visit your local commercial mower repair shops and ask what they have that's used or reconditioned. That's how i got my great deal.

At the top of the page in the advertising header,you will find our sister link:Greenforums.com. The guys on that site are into lawn care,you may get some good advise there. Thanks Dave

Be careful of cheaper honda's . I have a pressure washer with a honda, and it is NOT the same quality as I'm used to with them. I suspect it is chinese manufacture.

At the top of the page in the advertising header,you will find our sister link:Greenforums.com. The guys on that site are into lawn care,you may get some good advise there. Thanks Dave

I posed over there, thanks! :msp_smile:

Sthil 88O Magnum with a 48" bar, just make slow swipes across the top of the grass.

Back