Need help with tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toronado3800

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
For longer than I've been alive my Grandmother has been calling the tree pictured in the following link a Locust. I have politely disagreed since it doesn't look like any of the other Honey Locusts I've seen, but I can't figure out what it is.

Any help would be appreciated and the photos were taken July 25th.

The tree is in the six untitled photos

Definitely not locust.  Sure looks like a willow to me; which one I can't say, maybe white if it's an actual willow.  Do I see bristle tips on the leaves?  Maybe a willow oak -- does it produce acorns?

Glen

Grandma denies any acorns from this tree and I don't recall any on it. The ground around it will have a couple per sq yard, but there are three large pin oaks on the property so the ground is littered with them. I would describe the leaves as smooth edged.

Last edited:
Grandma is wrong...

But find out what your inheritance is before arguing too much.

:laugh:

Yeah growth habit and bark look something like Q phellos. Maybe not old enough to make acogns yet. yOu say you have "pin oaks"; are they Q palustris? Can you post a picture?

Oaks hybridize in nature.

Guy, I should be by Grandma's Tuesday or Wednesday and I'll be sure to get some pictures of what both her and myself believe are Pin Oaks. They hold their leaves all almost until the next spring, have a bunch or small branches and all them Pin Oak things.

By hybridize do you mean cross polinate or mix somehow?

& I still don't know how or if I'll break it to Gma about that not being a Locust

If you think in terms of how birds in general don't intermix and produce offspring but humans do (with "different" humans), oaks are more like humans than birds.  Sometimes oaks cannot be precisely classified.

Best thing to do with granny is to take her for a drive and show her some locusts.  You'll likely find both black and honeylocust to show her.  Look for the trees with hanging "bean" pods.

<a href="http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/gtriacanthos.htm" target="_blank">honeylocust</a> (may be <i>very</i> thorny or thornless)
<a href="http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/rpseudoacacia.htm" target="_blank">black locust</a>(extremely fragrant spring blooms and top-notch firewood)

Glen

Originally posted by Toronado3800
By hybridize do you mean cross polinate or mix somehow?
Yes.

I still don't know how or if I'll break it to Gma about that not being a Locust
One of its common names is "locust". Since it's her tree and that's what she calls it, it's the best common name there is.;)

Those silly scientists may want to call it Quercus phellos, but that's their business.

YEs do send a picture of the "pin oaks"; I've seen 3 different species called that.

Looks like the search has been abandoned.&nbsp; I still say it's willow oak, but can't find any reference to it being called "locust" in any way shape or form...

Glen

I couldnt find willow oak in my books, but it looks like a willow at first glance. The leaves are not simple smooth edged leaves. but seem to be compound smooth leaves. One thing for sure is that it is not a Locust.

Kenn

Back