Help on tree identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacciatore1981

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I seen this on Craigslist and from the pictures I first thought it was black locust but when I arrived I didn't think it was locust. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated there's many truckloads and wanted to make sure it was a good burning hardwood. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0383(1).jpg
    IMG_0383(1).jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 3
It kinda looks like the willow that grows in our swamps but in the black dirt they fall over before they get that tall. Is it a undense wood? Willow is pretty soft and will start to rot if uncovered.

It kinda looks like the willow that grows in our swamps but in the black dirt they fall over before they get that tall. Is it a undense wood? Willow is pretty soft and will start to rot if uncovered.
It's pretty dense and heavy

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 1
You’d know if it was willow, also on closer inspection the heartwood looks different. Elm is a lot better than willow so it should be worth your time

Mulberry or Walnut, look like a few pieces of Elm (the white centers) mixed in. The three stumps look like Mulberry for sure.

Back