Need help with unidentified tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie Cushman

Reaction score
I have a tree in my yard that was planted about 17 years ago by the previous homeowner. I love the tree and I guess I really just started looking at the bark. Something isn't right. I dont know what kind of tree it is, but are these beetle holes? I think thats bad. Can someone help me figure out what the tree is and is it in bad shape?

Any help would be appreciated!

20170212_164503.jpg
20170212_164545.jpg

It looks like some kind of "Live Oak" to me.
There are several different types.

David

Thank you for all your replies. I was thinking woodpeckers, but a friend was here and said it looked bad and I should have someone come out and look at it. You could be right. I will look up types of live oak and Juneberry. It doesn't look like anything around here so I was lost as to identification.

Are those spots on the trunk all over the tree?

The marks look similar to the damage tree climbers make when climbing with spikes on their feet.

I believe your tree is a live oak like mentioned.

You are in Florida and it's a nursery bought Live Oak. We used to have a tree farm in Sorrento (Lake County) and grew them exclusively. Take your pics over to one of the tree farms in the Apopka area that raises them and they will likely tell you what the deal is. That black bear in my avatar is a live oak, hopefully it's not what climbed your tree.

As a birder, I would say those holes are from a woodpecker.
I have many kinds around too. Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Red-Headed, Pileated, Downey, Hairy, Nuthatch and Northern Flicker.
Maybe he's looking for insects or maybe he's a sapsucker kind.
Sapsuckers drill nice neat holes and come back later to drink sap that tree produces to heal the hole.
They are very common and probably won't be harmful to tree in the long run.
They also commonly drill off bark under branches for better sap-flow.
Live with it, it's nature.

Latest posts

Back