Need new stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABC Stump

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm using a Rayco 1625 and would like to move up. I need some advice on what would be the ideal machine for a part timer. I definitely want a diesel. A tow behind is a possibility but I think I would need to keep my 1625 for the smaller jobs. Ideally I would prefer a self-propelled that would handle some larger jobs than the 1625 can handle. I would also like to have remote capabilities but it's not mandatory. Any ideas?:confused:

ABC STUMP...My opinion is that you should stay away from a tow behind. With the large powerful self propelled machines out there you don't need to drive your truck onto lawns ect. You can also get at certain stumps with a self propelled machine that you would not be able to get at with a tow behind. I really don't understand why the tow behinds are still selling. I own a Rayco RG50 and a Carlton TRX8018 and I like both. The remote is real nice on the Carlton. I would recommend a RG50, RG50 Super or RG90 if you don't mind not having the remote. If you wanted a remote machine I would recommend one of the wheeled Carlton machines with at least 50 hp. I use my track machine on bigger jobs where turf damage is not an issue or there is a straight shot to the stump from the trailer. The remote machine is also nice because you don't have the swing out control panel which again can get you to some stumps where the Rayco could not get at because you need the space for the control panel to swing out.

One other thing that I forgot to add was that the self propelled machines are nice when you have multiple stumps. Tow behinds require you to re-position the machine. I will have the entire job done in half the time as the tow behind. While the tow behind operater is jumping in and out of the truck I will already have my machine on the trailer and eating lunch. I owned 3 tow behinds at one time but since they came out with the large powerful self propelled machines I would never consider going back. Just my 2 cents worth.

It really comes down to your area your planning to grind in around here its 36" gates or 90%of the time you can get a tow behind to the stump,in saying that my weapon of choise would be a rayco rg85/90 no doubt about it.

Latest posts

Back