Need some advice on SS flue liner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While cleaning my wood burner today I noticed the clay flue liner has a pretty good crack in it right above where the clay liner coming through the foundation (wood burner is in basement) meets it. The vertical clay liner is 6.5" x 6.5" inside measurements by 18.5' to the top. The clay liner going through the foundation is 8" round. So now I want to line it with a stainless steel liner. I have a bunch of questions. First and foremost is this something I can do myself? I'm a carpenter and know my way around a house pretty good but this is all new territory to me. I'm thinking 5" liner will be the way to go, but should I go with rigid or flexible? I'm kind of leaning towards rigid (but not dead set on it) as I think it would be easier to clean. If I go with rigid how do I get the elbow in? Or should I put a tee in instead of an elbow to allow creosote to fall down into the clean out? If so how do I get that in? I have 8" stove pipe coming out of the wood burner, should I reduce it coming out of the wood burner or continue using 8" stove pipe and reduce it at the foundation? Once the new liner is in does it have to be insulated? Any recommended brands of pipe out there? I greatly appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

While cleaning my wood burner today I noticed the clay flue liner has a pretty good crack in it right above where the clay liner coming through the foundation (wood burner is in basement) meets it. The vertical clay liner is 6.5" x 6.5" inside measurements by 18.5' to the top. The clay liner going through the foundation is 8" round. So now I want to line it with a stainless steel liner. I have a bunch of questions. First and foremost is this something I can do myself? I'm a carpenter and know my way around a house pretty good but this is all new territory to me. I'm thinking 5" liner will be the way to go, but should I go with rigid or flexible? I'm kind of leaning towards rigid (but not dead set on it) as I think it would be easier to clean. If I go with rigid how do I get the elbow in? Or should I put a tee in instead of an elbow to allow creosote to fall down into the clean out? If so how do I get that in? I have 8" stove pipe coming out of the wood burner, should I reduce it coming out of the wood burner or continue using 8" stove pipe and reduce it at the foundation? Once the new liner is in does it have to be insulated? Any recommended brands of pipe out there? I greatly appreciate any advice you guys can give me.
So there is a lot here so forgive me if I miss anything. I would go rigid as its smooth and last longer. I'd recommend 6" since most stoves and furnaces require a minimum of 6". It is something you can do yourself and I did my own myself. I went with Duravent Duraliner. It's expensive but is double walled and insulated rated for 2100 degrees and lifetime warrant, also if can be installed right next wood concrete or block. Outside when burning I can touch it and it doesn't burn me. I would use a tee. It all connects to the pipe with rivets and the tee extension just comes off with a screw driver. Just connect each section one at a time and slide it down section by section from top of roof. Once its high enough go inside and screw connector onto tee, hook up stove pipe and good to go. I'd reduce 8" to 6" at the tee. My 19' chimney costs about $1100 and I bought it all from build.com go to duravents website for details on part numbers, descriptions, and pictures. Hope this helps.

Thank you Wisneaky for the advice. I thought of 6" but didn't know how difficult that would be slide down the flue. I agree with the tee but I'm still not sure how it goes in? It would have be bigger 6" in diameter wouldn't it?

Rwoods thank you for getting back to me. I've never had a flue fire. My flue needs rebuilt as it is shifting. I think it shifted a little bit and this what caused the crack. I had planned on getting it re-built this coming summer. I was kind of looking for a safe inexpensive liner to get me through the winter until it can be rebuilt.

Thank you Wisneaky for the advice. I thought of 6" but didn't know how difficult that would be slide down the flue. I agree with the tee but I'm still not sure how it goes in? It would have be bigger 6" in diameter wouldn't it?

Rwoods thank you for getting back to me. I've never had a flue fire. My flue needs rebuilt as it is shifting. I think it shifted a little bit and this what caused the crack. I had planned on getting it re-built this coming summer. I was kind of looking for a safe inexpensive liner to get me through the winter until it can be rebuilt.
The actually tee branch comes right off to slip down the chimney. With the branch off its the same size of the rest of the liner.

The duravent liner us 6 5/8" if it was me I'd bust that clay liner out first. Here is a link to duravent duraliner product catalog http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L820_DL_W.pdf

That duravent system does look really nice. How would you go about busting out 18.5' of terra cotta liner?

People over think liners IMO. I did on my first one. Overpaid for more than I needed, went with two ply, ended up with an inferior product.
Go with XYZ flex liner (6") insulate it, DIY, it is easy. Do a lil research, tees couldn't be easier to install, you can come right through your existing thimble. Flex liners clean up just as well as rigid. Actually self clean, each time the liner cools/heats up, it expands and contracts a bit, that pops buildup off...

People over think liners IMO. I did on my first one. Overpaid for more than I needed, went with two ply, ended up with an inferior product.
Go with XYZ flex liner (6") insulate it, DIY, it is easy. Do a lil research, tees couldn't be easier to install, you can come right through your existing thimble. Flex liners clean up just as well as rigid. Actually self clean, each time the liner cools/heats up, it expands and contracts a bit, that pops buildup off...
Your right people probably do over think them and I probably spent more than I had too, but I wanted to make sure I was safe and not sorry if something were to happen. I have a wife and 4 young kids and wanted to make sure my house wasn't going to burn down.

Safety is the utmost concern right now. My neighbor lost his house due to a flue fire earlier this fall.

The flue needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. I didn't really want spend upwards of $1000 to line it and get me through the winter. Don't get me wrong I will spend the money if I have to to be safe.

After watching my flexible SS liner installed I just shook my head and thought wow that was easy and we just took this one on the chin. A little research a ladder a screw gun and a SS cutter of some kind and your set. Kind is pricey just for one year but good resale value if you need to do it. Good luck.

I went with Rockford chimney liners on eBay. They helped me with every step. I went with the flexible liner and insulation that I mixed with water.

Maybe give your insurance agent a call.
I found a crack in my old clay liner. I told a buddy and he said to call my insurance company as they might cover a new liner. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Well, my insurance company rep nearly ran right to my house with a check. They covered the cost of breaking out the old liner and installing a new ss liner that's as good as gold. Turns out the insurance folks recognize it's better to pay for a new liner than wait for a house to burn down. I'm sure I could have done the job but the insurers would only pay a pro with an established reputation and his own insurance. Plus, it took the two guys an afternoon, it would have taken me a lot longer.

Your right people probably do over think them and I probably spent more than I had too, but I wanted to make sure I was safe and not sorry if something were to happen. I have a wife and 4 young kids and wanted to make sure my house wasn't going to burn down.
Sometimes it's worth going top shelf if you're doing it for your kids. Peace of mind is no small thing,

Safety is the utmost concern right now. My neighbor lost his house due to a flue fire earlier this fall.

The flue needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. I didn't really want spend upwards of $1000 to line it and get me through the winter. Don't get me wrong I will spend the money if I have to to be safe.
Maybe I missed something, but why do you only need it to get you through winter? If you put a liner in it a rigid one like mine should last a long time like 25+ years. When I was researching the flexible ones I was reading that they are only good for 5-10 years.

I have a wife and 4 young kids and wanted to make sure my house wasn't going to burn down.
I have a family too, I totally get this. My point was all chimney liners that are rated for wood burning are good enough, they all have to meet the same regs. More $$ is not necessarily better. I'd say it is more about a proper install...call Rockford, or CLD or one of the other mainline liner stores, they can hook you up with what you'll need, the ones I dealt with were very good with any questions too. My advice, find what you want/need, find the best deal on it, gitter dun. (right)

When I was researching the flexible ones I was reading that they are only good for 5-10 years.
Where did you find this? Sounds low to me...10...maybe, 5 would be the result of some sort of severe abuse...my opinion only. Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember hearing 20 years was pretty typical...

I missed the part about your burner having an 8" outlet when I read through the first time. That may be a problem, it may or may not work being cut back to a 6". Actually, you'd prolly need a 5.5" to fit it in your flue, may also have to ovalize it and go with 1/4" insulation instead of 1/2" to get it to fit too...or bust the flue out...I'd hate to go with a 8" unless you are sure you are gonna stay with your current heater. 6" fits 90% of the stuff out there...

You are not sayin the whole chimney is structurally failing are you? Just a flue crack, right?

I seen it now in the second post. Aee you talking the flue or If you put a liner in you won't need it rebuilt
I have a family too, I totally get this. My point was all chimney liners that are rated for wood burning are good enough, they all have to meet the same regs. More $$ is not necessarily better. I'd say it is more about a proper install...call Rockford, or CLD or one of the other mainline liner stores, they can hook you up with what you'll need, the ones I dealt with were very good with any questions too. My advice, find what you want/need, find the best deal on it, gitter dun. (right)

Where did you find this? Sounds low to me...10...maybe, 5 would be the result of some sort of severe abuse...my opinion only. Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember hearing 20 years was pretty typical...

I missed the part about your burner having an 8" outlet when I read through the first time. That may be a problem, it may or may not work being cut back to a 6". Actually, you'd prolly need a 5.5" to fit it in your flue, may also have to ovalize it and go with 1/4" insulation instead of 1/2" to get it to fit too...or bust the flue out...I'd hate to go with a 8" unless you are sure you are gonna stay with your current heater. 6" fits 90% of the stuff out there...

You are not sayin the whole chimney is structurally failing are you? Just a flue crack, right?
I honestly don't remember. It was over a year ago when I was researching liners. I see Rockford offers a lifetime warranty, but has some stipulations. annual inspection, maintenance, and cleaning of liner, beginning one year after the date of installation and continuing at intervals of no more than twelve months from the date of installation by a nationally certified chimney sweep, Rock-Flex installer, or other qualified chimney professional, who must fill out the appropriate section of the Rock-Flex Maintenance Record

That's why I went with CLD the first time, their warranty allows for some DIY, only one I could find like that.
When I lined my second flue I didn't worry about it, just found a good deal on what I needed and went for it. I realized I could have bought 2 regular liners for what I spent on my first one "special HD 2 ply liner" BAH! Just a heads up for anybody wondering, the inner layer of 2 ply liner doesn't lay back down flat after it is coiled up for shipping!
I would have went with CLD on the second one but I felt they tried to pull a fast one on me concerning the shipping cost. That sent me shopping and I found a much better deal elsewhere. But that company was since bought out so...

Back