Need the skinny on ms311 guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIMBERTRON

DONE MOVING IN GREAT FALLS NOW
Reaction score
So I got a deal from a friend on a ms 311 my labor and cost of carb for the saw guy dosnt want it says it's been to hard for him to start I get it going with new carb second pull 95% of time. Short of this saw being a brick I kinda like it, and another saw for my growing stable. 562xp,ms361,450,445 and 240
Thinking I need another stihl in my stables give me the good the bad and ugly with this saw.

Right!!! Lol. Dam CAD. What's the skinny thou thinking I take it and make a few extra bucks and sell to relitive. Short of being a brick in weight. Specs look decent. What's the reliability and durability, hard wood 26" dia or less. And is power in big stuff there? Havnt had in much wood just a few test cookies. Like I say seems decent but I'm only cutting 20"dia. pine for my test.

Right!!! Lol. Dam CAD. What's the skinny thou thinking I take it and make a few extra bucks and sell to relitive. Short of being a brick in weight. Specs look decent. What's the reliability and durability of this said model. Havnt had in much wood just a few test cookies. Like I say seems decent but I'm only cutting 26"dia. pine for my test.
How dose it do in hard woods? Most importantly is my biggest question

I've never ran one, but I've read some decent reviews on them...pretty reliable for a homeowner saw...most guys recommend a 18 in bar and sharp chisel chain and it will "do the do" in hardwood!
A good idea would be to put in Stihl MS 311 in the search tab and give it whirl...grab some coffee and settle in for some great reading!;)
How many cords of hardwood do you estimate you'll be cutting with it?

Been reading forms, most turn to mm 310 -390 right out the gate,and carb limiters removed. But good reading. I'm just going to sell this one along. Thanks for the replays so quickly.

Been reading forms, most turn to mm 310 -390 right out the gate,and carb limiters removed. But good reading. I'm just going to sell this one along. Thanks for the replays so quickly.

it's a good one to sell. nothing more then a POS after running a 562 or 361 though.

I upgraded a 311 to a 391 a few years back, adding a decomp valve. I figured I was all set to pull a 25" bar with it. I figured wrong. My 361 will pull a 25" bar better. My 046 Mag pulls it the way it should be pulled--and it even handles a longer bar. The clam shells are like little engines that couldn't quite. Some guys around here call them head shakers. :rare2:

Yeah my 562/ 361 pulls24" bars no problem. I'm going to find a good home for this 311 I don't think this saw is broken in yet guy claims only about 40 minutes of small cotton wood not even a full tank yet. new carb brought it right to life but it still seems lacking in my opinion on power. And slow trigger response times. But I've been spoiled for a while on my pro saws.

Having been around the block a few times on buying/trying/selling myself, I'd just move it on along. Every time I would buy a second-tier (or worse) saw to try, it ended up getting shelved most of the time, because, honestly, why run a so-so saw when you already own a great one? Buy the best and run the best if your budget permits, and let the folks who don't know better keep the clamshell plastic saws.

Latest posts

Back