New 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king610

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post since I found this forum while looking for information on new saws.
I went back a year and read most everything you guys wrote.

The reason for the research was it was time to retire the old 610 mac and 330 homelite saws that were 32/25 years old. I found plenty of good information here to help.

Thanks to this forum I have decided on the 372xp.
I found one at my local Husq/Stihl dealer. He only has the hand/carb warmer "xpg" version left and I made a deal for $659 w/20" bar&chain out the door.

I usually like/need a second lighter duty backup saw and next month or so will probably buy a 357 or 359. Haven't decided but might let the low price of the 359 settle the issue.

I'll continue to lurk around and post any experiences with the new saws, as it is getting to be blow down season again, even around here in central, NY.
You never know what size/type of wood becomes available, and as I prefer the big maple trunks to harvest for fire wood, the saws will get some use, as the old saws did.

This forum is a-ok!

That was a good deal for the XPG. Once you have heated handles, you'll always want them.

For saw #2, considering how long you kept the Mac and Homelite, you should spend the extra $100 and get the 357XP. I have the Jonsered 2156, which is the same, and it's my favorite saw. (And it has the heated handles).

Welcome to the site, it's a lot of fun.

Warning

King610

This site has more power than a black hole has gravity. Leave now! Or your garage will soon be home to way more than two saws you now think you need.

P.S. If you stay, you will find some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people on the net. I have learned a great deal and hopefully you find this site as fun as I do. Just plan on hiding stuff from the wife!

Last edited:
Steve128 said:
King610

This site has more power than a black hole has gravity. Leave now! Or your garage will soon be home to way more than two saws you now think you need.

This is way too true!!!! Also check with Baileys, they have 372xp's a lot less than that right now without the x. Always good to keep you're options open, dealer may give you a break, may not?
Andy

king610 said:
This is my first post since I found this forum while looking for information on new saws.
I went back a year and read most everything you guys wrote.

The reason for the research was it was time to retire the old 610 mac and 330 homelite saws that were 32/25 years old. I found plenty of good information here to help.

Thanks to this forum I have decided on the 372xp.
I found one at my local Husq/Stihl dealer. He only has the hand/carb warmer "xpg" version left and I made a deal for $659 w/20" bar&chain out the door.

I usually like/need a second lighter duty backup saw and next month or so will probably buy a 357 or 359. Haven't decided but might let the low price of the 359 settle the issue.

I'll continue to lurk around and post any experiences with the new saws, as it is getting to be blow down season again, even around here in central, NY.
You never know what size/type of wood becomes available, and as I prefer the big maple trunks to harvest for fire wood, the saws will get some use, as the old saws did.

This forum is a-ok!
I think for a second chainsaw i would look into the 346XP ....... The 357xp and the 359 are a Lot of saw . The 346xp is a great limbing saw and also has the power to cover wood up to the point you would need the 372xp. If i had to only have 2 it would be the 346xp and the 372xp and i would loose my 359 if i had to .

Rspike said:
I think for a second chainsaw i would look into the 346XP ....... The 357xp and the 359 are a Lot of saw . The 346xp is a great limbing saw and also has the power to cover wood up to the point you would need the 372xp. If i had to only have 2 it would be the 346xp and the 372xp and i would loose my 359 if i had to .

I agree with that 100%.

King.......... You got a good deal and up there in "salt city" I think you will be happy with the heated handles.

Yep!

I priced Bailey's for the 372 but by the time I added in a bar, chain and shipping, it was the same price as the local dealer, which I was very surprised to see. I got the saw put under the family farm acct so there was no sales tax, fortunately.

As for the second saw, I will consider all suggestions!

king610 said:
I priced Bailey's for the 372 but by the time I added in a bar, chain and shipping, it was the same price as the local dealer, which I was very surprised to see. I got the saw put under the family farm acct so there was no sales tax, fortunately.

As for the second saw, I will consider all suggestions!

I wonderd about that, good for you:clap: 346xp-353, anything more than that is useless with the 372. I myself would run an 18" on the smaller saw and a 25" on the bigger, but you will get lots of opionions on that:deadhorse:
Andy

Rspike said:
I also agree, but if it is not a pure limbing saw, maybe a Dolmar PS-5100 instead of the 346xp.

I would also take a Stihl MS361 over the 357xp or 359 any day. It is somewhat lighter, and has more power when the saws are stock.

The Huskys mentioned here has an outboard clutch, and the Dolmar and Stihl an inboard one.
How much it matters, depends on what you will be using the saw for.

If you are happy with your local dealer, stay with him. The 353 is a good saw, and it won't hit your budget like a 346xp. If you aren't set on having another Husky, the 5100s is the way to go.

King
If your willing to travel to Rome,NY? George Kahler has 372's fore sale, still has more with the halfwrap & 20" bar. The 372/371 have stood with the best models such as the 181/272L and 2100 that Husquvarna has made! But if you want heated handles just buy a regular 570/575 Husky or a sthil 441 because they run so hot it will keep your hands warm.www.gksales.net

So how has the Mac 610 Served you over the years? Has it just worn out, or just ready to retire?

Have you looked at what Echo has to offer as far as smaller saws? A CS520 is quite light, and has loads of power for its size. Ive got one i nthe shop right now, and it is a consistant 1-2 pul starter, and pulls so easy.

kahler

Yep, I bought from George Kahler! He has a few 372's left. Great store to deal with.

The mac 610 is just worn out. I bought it new in '74 for about $350. I Dropped a lot of trees with it that it had no business doing at all. The very first one it did (I remember way back) was a huge just-dead elm that was all of 40" plus in diameter. After notching it, I ran a number of times (12)to get away from it, slowly creeping up on it to cut just a little more. Finally it went where it supposed to go! Was a good saw but the power is gone and it is cracked here and there to boot. It will still kind of run, like me!! I can split all day manually but I can't run worth a hoot.

Latest posts

Back