new 660 magnum not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the dealer by my house says they will not service it because i didn't buy it from them. I live 70 miles from the place that a bought it.. In response to the question how hard was i running it... I was cutting 30" oak.. waiting about 45-60 seconds between each cut( because i was admiring the power and speed at which it did the last cut!!!). Which is more time than i ever waited with my 024 and still have not had a problem with that saw to this day and its 10 years old. My chain gets sharpened the minute im not satisfied with the speen in which i am cutting. Just not sure at all.. The saw is set up to pre-heat the air before it goes through the filter so I wouldn't assume that the cold weather did it. It was 20 degs. out and according to the owners manual its above the recommended temp before i have to start blocking off the fan. I contacted stihl and basically they told me "tough ####" about the poor service that i recieved from their " Authorized Dealer" Not very happy.. Anyone know if these dealers will return a saw? I may be lookin for another brand if this issue isn't resolved. Is there anything that is competitive to the 660? I really enjoyed the 30 seconds or so that this thing blew through the logs i put in front of it.

Now the dealer by my house says they will not service it because i didn't buy it from them. ..... I contacted stihl and basically they told me "tough ####" about the poor service that i recieved from their " Authorized Dealer" Not very happy...

Well that sucks, I hate dealers like that, so angry you didn't buy from them they are going to refuse the money of the reapir work, and loose any of your future business. Also find it hard to believe Stihl corp has that attitude as well. I've had nothing but good luck from the dealers I use. Have had motorcycle dealer be that way, but a quick call to the manufacturer straighten them up.

Don't guess you could say somone bought it as a gift for you and bought it their dealer.... ;)

dw

I wish i would have thought of that.. That would be one heck of a gift with a 36" bar on it.. lol... I wish i could get gifts like that... My dealer said " no problem , bring it in." without any other questions (and they are city folk). Anyone know how long it takes a these places to replace a worst case scenario? BTW been lookin at all the modding forum posts... You people are nuts! lol... sounds like a lot of fun though. :)

Can they actually do that?

If the could (still don't think Stihl would let them) why WOULD they and loose even more business.... THye have no knowledge as to why it was bought elswhere and now they have turned a potential big spender away... Guy walsk into my show w/ a $1200 saw and needs work, "Yep right away, and what else can I sell you whiule you're here?" :)

dw

My thoughts exactly dw... I was lookin at buyin a 30ton splitter from them alsi. I am definately takin my business elsewhere. I wont even buy a box of screws from them anymore.. not to mention i asked for a price on a lift of 2x10's for my deck that im building this spring... Needless to say.. not interested in their quote anymore.

Chris,
Before you trade or return your 660, give your dealer a chance to assess the issue..
It may be an easy repair or full replacement..
Frustrating and a pain to drive that distance but at least that dealer sounds reputable compared to the local one..
Best of luck..

My thoughts exactly dw... I was lookin at buyin a 30ton splitter from them alsi. I am definately takin my business elsewhere. I wont even buy a box of screws from them anymore.. not to mention i asked for a price on a lift of 2x10's for my deck that im building this spring... Needless to say.. not interested in their quote anymore.

you already took your business elsewhere when you bought the saw somewhere else.Not saying they were right but I can see their side too.I put a lot of effort in supporting my local people.Got 3 stihl dealers within 25 miles north,south and east of me and I try to spread it out for what little I buy, but if one of my saws needs warranty work,I take it to the one who made the money on the sale. Scott

Upon initial inspection of the saw, my dealer said it appears that the piston was improperly installed judging by tge massive scaring in the cylinders. Which seems right on par for my luck.. good news is they are gonna have it back to me by tomorrow, with a fan gaurd and a dual port muffler tuned up and ready to rip.. i asked them to run a couple tanks through it to make sure there arent anymore problems.

Upon initial inspection of the saw, my dealer said it appears that the piston was improperly installed judging by tge massive scaring in the cylinders. Which seems right on par for my luck.. good news is they are gonna have it back to me by tomorrow, with a fan gaurd and a dual port muffler tuned up and ready to rip.. i asked them to run a couple tanks through it to make sure there arent anymore problems.

What could be improper backwards or a clip came out?Lets hear what this was when you get it back.

Now the dealer by my house says they will not service it because i didn't buy it from them. I live 70 miles from the place that a bought it.. In response to the question how hard was i running it... I was cutting 30" oak.. waiting about 45-60 seconds between each cut( because i was admiring the power and speed at which it did the last cut!!!). Which is more time than i ever waited with my 024 and still have not had a problem with that saw to this day and its 10 years old. My chain gets sharpened the minute im not satisfied with the speen in which i am cutting. Just not sure at all.. The saw is set up to pre-heat the air before it goes through the filter so I wouldn't assume that the cold weather did it. It was 20 degs. out and according to the owners manual its above the recommended temp before i have to start blocking off the fan. I contacted stihl and basically they told me "tough ####" about the poor service that i recieved from their " Authorized Dealer" Not very happy.. Anyone know if these dealers will return a saw? I may be lookin for another brand if this issue isn't resolved. Is there anything that is competitive to the 660? I really enjoyed the 30 seconds or so that this thing blew through the logs i put in front of it.

Don't wanna start a Husky/Stihl Brand war,:biggrin:

Lord knows we don't have enough of those...:hmm3grin2orange:

The Husky 390, its lighter but has a bit less power or the Husky 395 its heavier, but it has a bit more power...

All i know about husky is my 024 with a 16in[SUP][/SUP] bar runs circles around my buddy's 455 with a 20in bar.. but either way, neither of them blew up after an hour.. infact my 024 is over 10 years old and his husky is only a couple months..

All i know about husky is my 024 with a 16in[SUP][/SUP] bar runs circles around my buddy's 455 with a 20in bar.. but either way, neither of them blew up after an hour.. infact my 024 is over 10 years old and his husky is only a couple months..

Stihl 024 was my first new saw back in July 1989 when the hurricane came through.

Great saw, i ran it with a 16 b/c, cut anything i find and there was a amazing amount of trees to be removed after the hurricane.

A Stihl 024 with a 16" b/c can not be equally compared to a Husqvarna 455 with a 20" b/c.

Thats like saying your 660 with a 25" b/c is faster than a Husqvarna 390 with 28 b/c.

Oh wait, the Husqvarna 390 IS faster, handles better, much better AV and lets face it, style that cant Stihl cant touch :cool2:

Your dealer probably let it go out the door tuned too lean. The problem is part EPA, part dealer. Ultimately, it's the dealers responsibility to make sure that it's setup correctly before it goes out the door. Did they start it and tach it?

They probably didn't tune the saw, but that is not their fault. Because of the EPA, dealers are not allowed to remove limiter caps upon initial inspection. They can only do this if the customer brings the saw back reporting problems. Then we can dig in. The tuning is already done at the plants to comply with emissions. If the saw fails, no problem, Stihl will replace it free of charge. They do this to accquire more information and make the proper changes.

Latest posts

Back