New acquisitions: an 034AV and another 026 (auction finds)!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I should know better, but I couldn't help myself from attending a local farm equipment and tool auction. I was really there to see if they had a landscape rake for me to clear some debris off an area I have been cleaning up to expand our horse paddock area; alas no landscape rake....

BUT....

There were three very lonely, and very dirty, Stihl chainsaws: an 024, and 026 and an 034AV. The 024 was missing its muffler, and I already have an 026, so I was able to resist temptation. But the 034AV!!!! Early in my chainsaw education my neighbor lent me his MS360 after I burned up a big-box little McCulloch chainsaw trying to dispose of a VERY BIG ash tree, and I will never forget the feeling of cutting up that tree with that saw and how nice a machine it was. In fact, it was that experience that made me decide I needed to acquire a Stihl one day, and after I re-built the McCulloch, I eventually started down this CAD path acquiring damaged Stihls and learning about them. Which brings me back to this 034AV, which when I pulled the starter rope appears to have very good compression.

The saw was most likely used by someone who did quite a bit of cutting, considering it has the Stihl 20" bar with the replaceable nose. The 3/8" pitch chain was not terribly dull, but the saw looked as if it had been left for sometime, still full of sawdust, twigs, and dirt. I was ready to pass on it, but decided I would bid up to $50, and sure enough, I got it for $45.

So last night I couldn't resist tearing it down and cleaning it up a bit to see what I was dealing with. I think it is a later model 034, or someone upgraded it, since it has the adjustable oiler. Someone had put in fresh gas, but of course couldn't start it. When I took the carb off, I opened the diagphragm side and it was almost full of sawdust under the plate: there was no way that diaphragm could work; no place for it to move. On the other side, the screen was pretty rusty, and in my desire just to clean things up with compressed air to see if I could start it, I managed to blow the screen (which was probably almost plugged) away somewhere into the night thus ending any hope of trying to start it that night. I was planning on buying a re-build kit for the carb so it is no big deal, but I was stupid to let it happen. The carb is manufactured for Stihl by Tillotsen (sp?), and seems very similar to the Walbro's I have worked on before.

Pulling the chain guard confirmed my thoughts regarding neglect and maintenance. Besides being covered with caked sawdust, the chain brake steel band was removed. The chain brake mechanism appears to be intact, but the cover was cracked in one corner, and the previous owner had just placed a dob of silicone over the area, though I am not sure why since there was no brake to operate. The oiler hose was rock hard, and should be replaced. The oiler reminds me of the one that was on my 029, as opposed to what is on the 026: just a thin wire that slips into the clutch drum slot, instead of the wider steel arm of the 026's.

The impulse line appears to be fuel line, and is also hard and does not want to stay in place. I don't have an IPL yet so I don't know for sure, but on all my other stihl's this line has been a formed line, not a fuel hose, which makes me think it was improvised.

The handle has a hair line crack near one of the edges, running parallel to it, but never actually touching the edge. I will probably repair it and provide plastic epoxy underneath the channel in which it is located to reinforce it, but it should be fine.

The bar had some pretty significant ridges or burrs on it, but I filed them down smooth and I don't see any bluing next to the edges. It is a Stihl bar, but the only marks on the chain are stamped on the links: JD. Seemed to be in decent shape but no idea what brand.

So my initial strategy is as follows:
1. Get the IPL, OM, and Service Manual
2. Replace the impulse and fuel lines, and fuel filter. The air cleaner was dirty but cleaned up quite nicely and i think is fine.
3. Replace the chain brake and the mechanism cover. This 034AV also has another plastic cover below the chain brake mechanicsm access cover, and it appears almost stapled in place. I haven't pulled that one yet pending review of the IPL, but I assume it just gives more access to the oiler.
4. I will do a vac test on it, but most likely will change the oil seals regardless.
5. I haven't pulled the muffler yet, but this saw takes a fair amount of strength just to pull the recoil cord, so I am pretty confident the cyliner and piston are in good shape.
6. Repair the handle.
7. Clean up the chain a bit. It looks like there is rust alonge the sides, but it might just be dirt. It will prbably clean itself with use, but I may soak it in WD40 just to get some of the gunk out of it. Seems to be in decent shape.

Don't know anything yet about the ignition side, and will test that later to verify I have spark. I think this saw was used heavily and then for whatever reason, was put aside and left that way for a long period before it found its way to my possession. On the other hand, this saw was designed for professional use, so I am hopeful that with the carb cleaned up and lines replaced, it will be just fine.

As to the 026?

The auction was for a choice of either saw, and the 026 clearly had a compression problem, so I took the 034AV for that and other obvious reasons. But then the 026 was offered for $35, and I havw two 026's, one of which I re-built, and the re-built one needs a new handle, which costs over $50 on ebay. And....the rest of the saw looked pretty good, other than the chain was not moving freely. So I succumbed to tempation, and it came home with me.

I pulled the muffler and most definitely there is scoring, although suprisingly enough I did get it to catch once when I tried to start it. The air cleaner is one of those fine-mesh stainless steel ones and looks almost new. The case and plastic make me think this saw did not get tons of use, although the 18" bar hat came with the saw I can't identify. this is the 026 that has what looks like a "button" for a gas tank vent, and I wondered if there isn't some sort of plastic cover that should slide over the plastic post that surrounds it.

The bar I can't identify but the chain is a stihl, in decent shape. Again, it was caked in dirt, and the chain didn't slide freely because someone had screwed around trying to discable to chain brake, and in so doing, distorted it so it rubbed all the time. The carb was not too bad on this one, though I will likely re-build it anyways. Not sure why it burnt up, but most likely an air leak somewhere, whether the seals or impulse line. I will replace both.

So on this one, I plan on doing the following:
1. Pull cylinder and see if I need to replace both piston and cylinder, or just piston and rings.
2. Install a new chain break band.
3. Replace fuel line, filter, and impulse line.
4. Re-build carb.
5. Vac test for seals and impulse hose before replacing to see if I can find out why it failed.

This saw doesn't appear to have been used hard.

So now my plate is full. I will likely repair both; keep the 034AV, together with one of the 026's and the 009L; and sell two re-built 026's, and my 012. The hard part about selling saws one repairs as an amateur is that one hates to lose them after that effort. But on the other hand, selling them makes room for new ones!

Robert

Last edited:
You definitely made sound purchases on both saws. If you don't have the time to rebuild the 026, no doubt you would make your money back and then some by selling it as a parts saw on here or Ebay.
As far as the 034/ 036 series saws, I am very fond of them as well. There is still a nice used parts supply out there for them too. One of Stihls better saws they ever made IMO. Good deals!

That's a great story. I know you're excited about your saws, but in order for us to get excited, you have got to post pics.

If it's light scoring on that 026, that "filter" could be the cause. They were intended to be snow filters and not for summer use. I've had at least one saw that succumbed to this.

Ok, OK, I will post the pics, although they won't be nearly as interesting as before I cleaned them up! I haven't taken any yet, but I PROMISE, tomorrow, I will do so and have them posted by Wednesday.

In the meantime....did some more exploring on the 034 AV.
1. Serial number was unearthed: 116 153 019 x. Any idea how to know when she was made? And I am assuming that this saw is not a super?

2. I have a Tillotson carburetor, Model HK-43B. Doesn't show up in the manual or IPL that Gmax was kind enough to share with me, but I found listings for it on ebay, and I can get the re-build kit, although I need the full one because I managed to blow the gas strainer screen somewhere unknown. The tillotson has a nylon spacer on the diaphragm side. Yes, I will take a picture.

3. The brake cover on this saw is in two pieces, with the bottom one anchorage perplexing to me until I finally figured it out the hard way. The bottom one, which is a different kind of plastic, and very flexible, is anchored by a split molly that is part of the assembly. This molly slides into a drilled out hole, a little less than 1/4" diameter, and is secured by a thin wire-like element that is pushed into its center to make it spread, and when done, leaving a flush appearance. I said "the hard way" because it looks to me like the way to remove it is to simply push it all the way through, instead of what I did, wwhich was to try to pull it out.

I think the smooth hole used for anchorage is threaded on later models where they use a one-piece rigid plastic brake dust cover instead of the two-piece one. I am not especially fond of what is on mine, and the top piece is cracked anyways, so I am tempted to replace both pieces with the solid one if I can figure out how to get a molly to accept a Stihl screw at the bottom. Anyone have any experience doing this, or suggestions? (Yes I will take a picture). I mentioned above that the brake band itself was removed and I am going to replace it. On the other hand, the old one certainly stayed in place.

4. The clutch drum / sprocket is the integral type, 3/8", with the slot for the oil pump wire. The teeth have pretty deep marks from the chain, but I won't replace it even though I probably should unless it seems to be out of round and binds on the replacement chain brake band.

5. The impulse line is not very flexible anymore, and was sliding off the nipple on the carb end very easily. I clipped 1/4" off of the end to push an unstretched portion onto the nipple, and it seems to be holding, but I should replace it if I am going to do any tear down on this saw.

6. I pulled the muffler, and though I shouldn't be surprised, could see that the exhaust side of the piston had a decent amount of scoring. I was a little surprised because the saw still appears to have decent compression when I pulled the cord, but I didn't measure it with a gauge. There was some carbon build-up on the exhaust port, and the muffler looks to me like it may have been modified a little to open it up, but I don't know what a stock one should look like. I will do a vacuum test on it before I dissassemble, but seeing the condition of the impulse line it could have (Yes I will take a picture!!)

7. The fuel line is the straight type. Does anyone know if I need to replace it with the straight style, or can I use the s-bend one? As I recall on my 029, the grommet size was a bit different. The fuel filter is a weighted orange style one, and looked like it had been on there for quite some time.

I am still glad I bought the saw, and I knew when I bid on it that it had received alot of use, and was hoping the piston and cylinder would be OK, but also knew they probably weren't. So...looks like I will replace the piston and rings. I am hoping I can salvage the cylinder, but if not, will likely upsize the piston and cylinder to the 036/MS360 displacement. As I understand it, I should be able to do that by just replacing the piston and cylinder, still using the same rod. Is that correct?

The re-build will have to wait for a while as i fund the purchase of the parts, and until I get my 009L back together. I have promised myself I won't touch the 026 until the 009 and the 034 are done.

Last edited:
You definitely made sound purchases on both saws. If you don't have the time to rebuild the 026, no doubt you would make your money back and then some by selling it as a parts saw on here or Ebay.
As far as the 034/ 036 series saws, I am very fond of them as well. There is still a nice used parts supply out there for them too. One of Stihls better saws they ever made IMO. Good deals!

My problem is that I LIKE re-building them, and then don't want to get rid of them! As a result and including my recent purchase, I have the 009l, an 012, THREE 026's, and the 034. I live on some acreage so get to use them, but it is really difficult to justify more than two saws, maybe three. So...I really need to sell one of the little saws and two of the 026's. Sniff....

Oh...and I forgot about the little Husky climbing saw with its parts saw friend that I started last year and then life got in the way. Need to remedy that too....

Latest posts

Back