New arrival from CT, wanting to learn more about being an arborist.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fegelmaus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good evening all,
I grew up and lived in CT, although currently I'm working in ME for at least 5 more months. I grew up being fascinated by trees, and I want to learn as much as possible. I know general trimming techniques and some basial soil treatments, but my current short term goal for myself is to try and save some of the ash trees on my parents property, and a beech tree of theirs that is suffering from BBD and or BLD, (kind of a low possiblility). I'm here to learn more and look for advice, happy evening to you all!
Specifically I had a quick question. Has anyone here tried the Chemjet Tree injectors for various purposes? I'm looking to see if I could use them with treeage for a diy EAB treatment.
This is the guidance I was going off.
https://chemjettreeinjector.com/save-your-trees-from-caterpillars-beetles-borers-and-other-insects/

Tree Age, Imidacloprid, and Dinotefuran are all restricted use pesticides in the state of CT. That would be your first hurtle to cross. Without a Supervisory Pesticide License you can't even buy them.

Your Ash trees are most likely to far gone to treat at this point, but it is possible to find some that could be candidates for treatment. Tree Azin would be something you can buy. Results are mixed at best.

Beech Leaf disease can be help with applications of Polyphosphite 30, which is not restricted. We also spray Luna Experience for BLD, but that would require a large sprayer. It's a relatively new disease so the science is trying to catch up. Arbotect fungicide has just got a supplementary label for BLD. I'm not sure if it is restricted or not. My license is on file with my suppliers so I lose track of which are restricted and which aren't.

BBD (Beech Bark disease) is vectored by Beech Bark Scale. The fungal disease is that is vectored is Nectria (I think now referred to as neo Nectria). Once the disease has set in there is no stopping it, although it may be slowed with bark applications of Reliant fungicide which is not restricted. The key though would be to protect the tree from the scale, which is best done with systemics. You can spray the trunk of the tree with horticultural oil timed for the crawler phase of the scale, which would also require a large sprayer.

Tree Age, Imidacloprid, and Dinotefuran are all restricted use pesticides in the state of CT. That would be your first hurtle to cross. Without a Supervisory Pesticide License you can't even buy them.

Your Ash trees are most likely to far gone to treat at this point, but it is possible to find some that could be candidates for treatment. Tree Azin would be something you can buy. Results are mixed at best.

Beech Leaf disease can be help with applications of Polyphosphite 30, which is not restricted. We also spray Luna Experience for BLD, but that would require a large sprayer. It's a relatively new disease so the science is trying to catch up. Arbotect fungicide has just got a supplementary label for BLD. I'm not sure if it is restricted or not. My license is on file with my suppliers so I lose track of which are restricted and which aren't.

BBD (Beech Bark disease) is vectored by Beech Bark Scale. The fungal disease is that is vectored is Nectria (I think now referred to as neo Nectria). Once the disease has set in there is no stopping it, although it may be slowed with bark applications of Reliant fungicide which is not restricted. The key though would be to protect the tree from the scale, which is best done with systemics. You can spray the trunk of the tree with horticultural oil timed for the crawler phase of the scale, which would also require a large sprayer.
Gotcha, hmm I didn't actually know tree age was restricted in CT. I thought that treeage R10 was restricted, where as G4 wasn't.
Thanks for the information about the beech, yeah I figured the main one is likely too far gone, but we have a few smaller ones that I would be interested in protecting.
As for the ash trees, yeah I would think they would be. But three of them has survived, and they still have full canopies, and I searched the entire lower trunks of each and couldn't find EAB exit holes.

Gotcha, hmm I didn't actually know tree age was restricted in CT. I thought that treeage R10 was restricted, where as G4 wasn't.
Thanks for the information about the beech, yeah I figured the main one is likely too far gone, but we have a few smaller ones that I would be interested in protecting.
As for the ash trees, yeah I would think they would be. But three of them has survived, and they still have full canopies, and I searched the entire lower trunks of each and couldn't find EAB exit holes.
Now that you mention it G4 may not be. We use R10 but I forgot about G4.

Would you happen to know anything about those syringes for trunk injection?
https://chemjettreeinjector.com/emerald-ash-borer/Instructions seem pretty straight forward...?
I'm not familiar with them but I have used (many years ago) a system that used manual pressure similar to those to move product into the tree. If the tree is flowing well on a nice sunny day (in full leaf) with low humidity they can work well. The concern is to be moving the product into the xylem. If you are too far out you can blow out the cambium and get bark separation. If the instructions specifically tell you to inject the product into the cambium I would be weary. It can work, but has to be done carefully.

I'm not familiar with them but I have used (many years ago) a system that used manual pressure similar to those to move product into the tree. If the tree is flowing well on a nice sunny day (in full leaf) with low humidity they can work well. The concern is to be moving the product into the xylem. If you are too far out you can blow out the cambium and get bark separation. If the instructions specifically tell you to inject the product into the cambium I would be weary. It can work, but has to be done carefully.
I just looked at the instructions again. It does seem pretty simple if you can get the G4. G4 is about $550/quart if you haven't priced it yet. If I was closer I'd take a look at them for you but you are a bit far. I'd hate to see you spend the money to treat if they are too far gone.
But hey, it's worth a shot.

I just looked at the instructions again. It does seem pretty simple if you can get the G4. G4 is about $550/quart if you haven't priced it yet. If I was closer I'd take a look at them for you but you are a bit far. I'd hate to see you spend the money to treat if they are too far gone.
But hey, it's worth a shot.
I was thinking that yeah. As long as the instructions are valid I would think it worth a shot. I
This was one of the trees this last summer.
There are two others that looked healthy like this, all of the other ash trees are dead, some have been for like 5 years now.
They look fairly good I think, correct? There’s a second one in the canopy to the right of the first one.
I don’t have a picture of the bigger one but it looked similar

Attachments

• 6E23E5D1-CEB7-43F0-9985-1EC7F84AFE90.jpeg
    6E23E5D1-CEB7-43F0-9985-1EC7F84AFE90.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E23E109A-1B97-4F54-AF86-71CD1B3636FD.jpeg
    E23E109A-1B97-4F54-AF86-71CD1B3636FD.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
The canopy does look quite good. It could very well be worth a shot.
Do you think there’s any reason that these seem to have been spared currently, or is it just by chance? Have you seen any survivors in your part of CT?
Here's a few better photos as well.
DJI_0359.1.JPGDJI_0374.JPG

Good evening all,
I grew up and lived in CT, although currently I'm working in ME for at least 5 more months. I grew up being fascinated by trees, and I want to learn as much as possible. I know general trimming techniques and some basial soil treatments, but my current short term goal for myself is to try and save some of the ash trees on my parents property, and a beech tree of theirs that is suffering from BBD and or BLD, (kind of a low possiblility). I'm here to learn more and look for advice, happy evening to you all!
Specifically I had a quick question. Has anyone here tried the Chemjet Tree injectors for various purposes? I'm looking to see if I could use them with treeage for a diy EAB treatment.
This is the guidance I was going off.
https://chemjettreeinjector.com/save-your-trees-from-caterpillars-beetles-borers-and-other-insects/
:happy:

Do you think there’s any reason that these seem to have been spared currently, or is it just by chance? Have you seen any survivors in your part of CT?
Here's a few better photos as well.
I have recently noticed a few that have seemed to have been spared. The state has a ongoing program releasing parasitic wasps in the hope that they will offer some control. I attended a seminar 10 days ago where the topic was discussed in some depth.
I have a client with a perfect mature Ash tree, about 25" dbh, that is surrounded by dead Ash trees. I assumed it must be treated so I asked her and she said nothing had been done to it.
While in the seminar I found out that one of the towns where they released the parasitic wasps was where that lady lives.
It peaked my interest to say the least.

I have recently noticed a few that have seemed to have been spared. The state has a ongoing program releasing parasitic wasps in the hope that they will offer some control. I attended a seminar 10 days ago where the topic was discussed in some depth.
I have a client with a perfect mature Ash tree, about 25" dbh, that is surrounded by dead Ash trees. I assumed it must be treated so I asked her and she said nothing had been done to it.
While in the seminar I found out that one of the towns where they released the parasitic wasps was where that lady lives.
It peaked my interest to say the least.
That is good news! And hmm, yeah I wonder if that could have helped. I've also heard of "lingering ash" however from a quick google search, it's like 0.1% of ash trees that survive in aftermath eab sites so that seems a low likelihood. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next few years.
In the meantime, I think I'll buy the chemjet injectors and buy a quart of the treeage g4, and treat those three trees in the spring. I noticed the TreeMec inject is 50 dollars cheaper and contains 4% Emamectin Benzoate same as the G4. Not sure if that's restricted use for CT however. It seems that G4 is not restricted use. .

That is good news! And hmm, yeah I wonder if that could have helped. I've also heard of "lingering ash" however from a quick google search, it's like 0.1% of ash trees that survive in aftermath eab sites so that seems a low likelihood. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next few years.
In the meantime, I think I'll buy the chemjet injectors and buy a quart of the treeage g4, and treat those three trees in the spring. I noticed the TreeMec inject is 50 dollars cheaper and contains 4% Emamectin Benzoate same as the G4. Not sure if that's restricted use for CT however. It seems that G4 is not restricted use. .
Sounds like a plan. Dr. Claire Rutledge is the state entomologist regarding EAB. She is usually pretty responsive via email and may be interested in your trees and the fact that they haven't seemed to be effected by it. If you would like some further info, google her name and her email should pop up.

Sounds like a plan. Dr. Claire Rutledge is the state entomologist regarding EAB. She is usually pretty responsive via email and may be interested in your trees and the fact that they haven't seemed to be effected by it. If you would like some further info, google her name and her email should pop up.
Good plan! Yeah I might reach out. I definitely will if one of the trees I don’t treat stays healthy, as there is only one other ash tree here besides the healthy three that isn’t dead, and it’s only got about 20% of its canopy left.

While that statement is true in general, I was inspired to check on the facts.

Imadocloprid is such a common insecticide, I couldn't see any reason for that. It turns out that the formulations that are restricted use are the IMIDACLOPRID 2F SLECT T/I and IMIDACLOPRID 75WSP. These are the formulations that can be mixed with water and sprayed, thereby posing a huge risk to foraging bees.

1707015182664.png

1707015332122.png

Imisol, the injectable formulation from Mauget is also restricted. NOT ALL the injectable formulations seem to be on the list of restricted use formulations of imidacloprid. Similar restrictions are likely for all other neonicotinoids, which are very bad for honey bees.

That being said, while you might find some formulations that are still available in Connecticut, you should not treat your trees until after the ash trees (or any other that you might treat) are long since done with their flowering season.

Ash trees pollinate in mid-spring and are primarily pollinated by air. Still, the pollen of the trees would be toxic to bees if previously treated by neonicotinoids, and the trees should not be treated until after the male trees are no longer tossing their genes into the air.

EAB (Emerald Ash Borer) begins its life cycle in late spring when the adults emerge. Eggs are laid later than the flowering period of the ash trees, so just treat after the proper conditions have arrived. You will get better results, too!

Welcome to AS

May want to put this question in a forum that covers the topic better, you'll get more views.

Nursery & Plant Health perhaps , and Homeowner Help gets a good number of views from arborists/tree pros

A worthy suggestion. Consider it done.

EDIT: I found this, and it seems like a good place to stick this image.

1707019537292.png

Latest posts

Back