new-b needs help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goof008

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a stihl 029 Super with a 16" bar and a new stihl rs chain. I love the rs chain. I want to get a 20" bar and wanted to know if I should switch the spur sprocket to a 3/8" .050 as there seems to be more choices with that combo. Is changing the sprocket easy? I am cutting hard woods (ash, oak, maple) and want to know if my saw would be a bit under powered with a full comp chisel chain, as it seems to bog a bit now...I plan to open up the exhaust a bit, but don't want to make it any worse. Would a half or full skip chain keep the rpms up better? Any help would be great...thanks.

Don't buy the spur if you are changing drums - convert it to rim... 1125 007 1002 (there are other choices) ... This way you get the big bearing and the rim system. Easy to change - just a a circlip on the end of the shaft.

Yes... on a 20 inch bar you'll want to run RS skip.

And buy an extra circlip or two while you're there. Don't ask me why :blush:, but it just went "schwing" off into the grass one day. Never had it happen before, but luckily, I had a spare. You can too.

Mark

Goof008

While your there, get a couple extra bar nuts, tie them somewhere that you will carry to the wood, like the handle of your gas can. With me, the ratio seems to be 4 : 1, if I have 4 extras, I will not loose 1 .

Suspicious people would pick up an extra spark plug.

Back