New ceu rules for ISA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Reaction score
Heads up if you haven't seen it. -Ralph

http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/ceus.aspx

Continuing Education Units

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Certification Board met in March and approved some new changes in the CEU policy that will be effective as of July 1, 2005. Changes were requested by chapter liaisons in three main areas of:

College courses
Climbers and judges at tree climbing championship events
CEUs traded out for non-educational programs
Look for more information on these policy changes in the June issue of Arborist News.

College Courses

College courses are now worth 10 CEU's per credit hour. In the past, college courses were worth 10 CEUs per course and 15 CEUs with a lab. For example, a 3-hour college course is now worth 30 CEUs that was previously worth 10 CEUs. As always, college course work must be an academically accredited 2-year or 4-year institution.
Climbers at Tree Climbing Championship events

Climbers and judges can be awarded up to 3 CEUs at ITCC and Chapter TCC events; this is a change from 6 CEUs.
CEUs for Non-educational Purposes

CEUs are not to be treated as a commodity to compensate volunteers. There must be a formal education component to receive CEUs, and they cannot be traded for service projects, board meetings, or participation in other non-education focused programs.
While not a new CEU opportunity, the ISA Certification Board wishes to remind that articles written and published are worth 3 CEUs, and a first aid or CPR class or renewal is worth 4 CEUs.

Thanks for the heads up. I have 35 for my renewal next year so I am going to hold tight until after that unless something really cool comes up (like the PNW annual meeting that is reported to have Shigo, Matheny and Clark and others coming to speak).

http://www.pnwisa.org/conference.html

This isn't new, but still worth noting. College courses are way overvalued imo. The bottom note is the best--articles for your local newspaper, newsletters like urban forest counclils, isa chapters, sierra club, audubon, etc are a great way to promote good tree care, and yourself. You don't need to be an accomplished author to pass along info, just do it.

treeseer-once again we agree on something, that is my main beef with the I.S.A., people who have no clue about treework getting certified. Textbook hero-workplace zero.

Awesome! I'm a textbook hero! Seer, not overvalued (definitely not!), but good point with the article writing.

Nickrosis said:
Awesome! I'm a textbook hero! Seer, not overvalued (definitely not!),
Brother Nick, I think a college course used to be 10 ceu's, 15 with a lab. Now for a 3-hour course this fall, no lab, I'll get 30 ceu's. I don't know what happened to merit a 20-point ceu increase; the course is the same.

I'll be taking environmental forensics, trying to strrrretch that envelope again, and tho its application to arboricuture is somewhat tangential I'll still get the full 30. Feels overvalued, compared to what's given for seminars and job training that are dedicated to tree care. Will you apply for full ceu's for the biz courses you're taking?

Clearance I agree with you even tho I like using textbooks more than saws. Without proper application in the field, book learning can be irrelevant or even dangerous. Before we have a hugehugfest though, I gotta say that yesterday I was pulling rotten fibers out of spike holes made in mature oaks, and not thinking kindly of the climber who could not learn the ropes.

yesterday I was pulling rotten fibers out of spike holes made in mature oaks, and not thinking kindly of the climber who could not learn the ropes.[/QUOTE]

sounds like it was badly spiked,did you charge for doing that??sounds interesting,can you trace the perpitrator?

are you getting caught up in legal matters alot these days guy?i hope your not being over zelous.

got caught up in one where people wanting to remove some large 100' radiata(over and near house) and council arb wanted to save them because there a tree,why should the owner spend money on trees to make safe they dont want,got thrown out pines came down,a win for common sence.peace brother.

treeseer said:
Will you apply for full ceu's for the biz courses you're taking?
Certainly not! But for all the tree and climbing courses I've taken. I'll have enough for years to come. As you know, the increase wasn't because college courses suddenly became more valuable but to make things more equitable.

Latest posts

Back