New guy....sort of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly460

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just checking in, been on the site awhile but haven't been on in years. Ran a couple saws when I was clearing trees for friends and neighbors a few years back, moved, now in a house with a real fireplace again so started cutting firewood. Buddy of mine had 5 large red oaks cut so I used it as an excuse to add a few saws to the collection. Currently run an Echo 490, Husqvarna 346XP, Stihl 041, Husqvarna 562XP, Stihl 460. I should pull 4-5 cords out of the trees he had cut, and I'm currently looking for an insert for the house. I realize my saws are overkill for a "wood burner" but I like toys, and most serve some function. No real favorite but have to say the 346XP is an amazing saw, light on torque which is well known but just amazing response and speed. Echo 490 is new and feels a little weak but heard a MM and retune really helps them out, great lightweight saw though, will play with it after I get some more tanks through it, decent limber for now. The 041 is ancient but I love the low rpm, sound, and grunt on this thing, I kept it as a backup but in truth I run it quite a bit. 562XP I have mixed reviews, it is hard starting as has been chronicled although it's a 2016 with updates, but once I learned the tricks I can start it easily enough. I guess I expected a killer saw from the reviews, but like my Stihl 362 (since sold) it hasn't quite lived up to the hype, plenty of speed but expected a more flexible powerband. Stihl 460 I just picked up from Clist, tuned it and so far it's been a great saw, has the torque and power that I was looking for in a decent package, I've been bucking 24-26" rounds with it and it's got plenty of balls.

This should be about 1/3 of what I'll get out of this haul of trees. I'll need to get a woodstove out of self defense, by the time I'm done stacking I'll pretty much be out of space (yes I know it'll take at least a year to dry).

Cutting wood is fun. Picking it up and stacking it is not.

If your concerned about the wood drying out in time, look into stacking a Holz Hausen. It is suppose to speed up the drying.

60255d1156943347-holz-hausen-dry-wood-three-p1010003-jpg

woodstack.jpg

Back