New guy with some questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onemississipp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to everything here basically. I bought my very first chainsaw last year, to do some clean-up around the house I bought 6 months before. It was not a "Real" saw as I see said here alot. It was a Poulan Pro PP3816AV, I cut alot of small trees and one Osage Orange about 28 -30" round and 40' tall with it. The Osage then was cut up into smaller pieces then burned. The little saw held together and did everything I asked of it. I did not treat it right, but now I know. I did keep it with a good fresh mix and always bar oil. I did not sharpen the chain enough and may have stuck it's face in the dirty a few times. I have since asked for the little guys forgiveness.

I'm now thinking of getting a "Real" saw and keeping this little saw around for limbing and what not.

I guess my real question would be this.

On the CS mills I have looked at the seem to clamp to the bar.
The one I'm thinking of getting would be the G777 small log mill.
Has anyone ever had one of these clamps loosen?
How munch force is there holding those clamps?

I was thinking of the G777 and wondering if anyone may have one laying around used for sell.

Thanks guys!!!!

I'll go back to reading for awhile.

I'm new to everything here basically. I bought my very first chainsaw last year, to do some clean-up around the house I bought 6 months before. It was not a "Real" saw as I see said here alot. It was a Poulan Pro PP3816AV, I cut alot of small trees and one Osage Orange about 28 -30" round and 40' tall with it. The Osage then was cut up into smaller pieces then burned. The little saw held together and did everything I asked of it. I did not treat it right, but now I know. I did keep it with a good fresh mix and always bar oil. I did not sharpen the chain enough and may have stuck it's face in the dirty a few times. I have since asked for the little guys forgiveness.

I'm now thinking of getting a "Real" saw and keeping this little saw around for limbing and what not.

I guess my real question would be this.

On the CS mills I have looked at the seem to clamp to the bar.
The one I'm thinking of getting would be the G777 small log mill.
Has anyone ever had one of these clamps loosen?
How munch force is there holding those clamps?

I was thinking of the G777 and wondering if anyone may have one laying around used for sell.

Thanks guys!!!!

I'll go back to reading for awhile.

I had a small log mill for a while and ended up selling it to another AS member a couple of months ago. I never did have any trouble with the bolts coming loose but I do tend to over-tighten from time to time. Personally if you plan to mill more often than not I would spend a few more bucks and step up to the 36" Alaskan mill. It balances a lot better and is a tad easier to use. For occasional use the G777 will do fine for you. As far as the Poulan not being a real saw, well I guess that depends on what you yourself think of how it performs and whether or not it suits your needs, however I would not try to use it for milling. I have had pretty good luck in the past with some "not real saws". Best of luck to ya and welcome to AS. There are a lot of people on here who are very generous with their knowledge and will be a big help to you.:cheers:

Welcome aboard onemississipp - this is a great forum.

My experience with clamps is not that they come loose but once forgetting to fully tighten a clamp in the first place - result one completely ruined chain! :mad: That was one reason why on my newer mill, the mill bolts direct to the bar bolts - the nose clamp just holds the bar level and even if it comes slightly loose it the bar can't turn so it doesn't really matter. Don't let this experience turn you off, you will only ever do this once :)

On my small mill I use tensile steel bolts on the clamps which you can really crank on and are difficult to strip the threads on.

Cheers

BobL, I believe a saw a pic of your mounting system your talking about. I really liked it.

The poulan will not be used for milling.

Thanks for the replys guys..

Logbuzzard,

It wasn't all turned into ashes, it was a novice bowyers dream!

There is plenty more in the shed seasoning.

You can see some of it here

http://onemississipp.googlepages.com/home

That osage was a female in the backyard, so I didn't even miss the osage fruit this year.

Next to go will be the Black Walnut that was right next to the osage. I have picked up 20 gallons of nuts this year.

Last edited:
so even if only running say an 18inch bar, you guys would recommend using the mk3 alaskan over the small log mill?

in which case the 36 over the 24 etc?

dont have any big milling saws at present, dont have anything big to mill at present, but dont want to really end up buying and trading up half a dosen times

cheers.

jim

so even if only running say an 18inch bar, you guys would recommend using the mk3 alaskan over the small log mill?

in which case the 36 over the 24 etc?

dont have any big milling saws at present, dont have anything big to mill at present, but dont want to really end up buying and trading up half a dosen times

cheers.

jim

Buy big now and you will be ready when you do get a bigger milling saw and bar. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back