Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt Helgerson

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a Husqvarna 460 rancher (60 cc) enough to run a 36 inch chainsaw mill through red Oak? I’m thinking about getting one brand new. Alternatively, I have a lead on a used Husqvarna 395 XP. But that would come with a Granberg mill, with wedges, with a ladder, with hearing protection and face protection and helmet all for $1600. It would be OK with me if it took a little more time to cut a slab, I am not going to be doing this full-time.

Is a Husqvarna 460 rancher (60 cc) enough to run a 36 inch chainsaw mill through red Oak? I’m thinking about getting one brand new. Alternatively, I have a lead on a used Husqvarna 395 XP. But that would come with a Granberg mill, with wedges, with a ladder, with hearing protection and face protection and helmet all for $1600. It would be OK with me if it took a little more time to cut a slab, I am not going to be doing this full-time.
No. You want a serious saw to mill red oak. The 395XP package would be something you'd never need to upgrade you could mill anything with you were likely to tackle. That package, depending on the bar it has with it, isn't that much less than it all costs new, so not a screaming deal, but a good ready to go starter package that saves you having to figure out everything you need. If it has a quality bar with it, then it is a reasonable price.

No. You want a serious saw to mill red oak. The 395XP package would be something you'd never need to upgrade you could mill anything with you were likely to tackle. That package, depending on the bar it has with it, isn't that much less than it all costs new, so not a screaming deal, but a good ready to go starter package that saves you having to figure out everything you need. If it has a quality bar with it, then it is a reasonable price.
Thank you. Still hunting. Trying to avoid “made in China” saws has taught me that basically every major saw manufacturer has a site in China. Even Stihl. Sigh.

Thank you. Still hunting. Trying to avoid “made in China” saws has taught me that basically every major saw manufacturer has a site in China. Even Stihl. Sigh.
The problem is nearly everyone - Oregon chain, etc - has factories in China. They intentionally provide no information which of their products is made there and which is still made in their US factories. But the general rule is that they farm out their
"consumer" products, the cheaper ones, to be made in China, and companies like Stihl produce a lot their bars and pro quality saws at their Virginia Beach factory. Not sure about Husqvarna's manufacturing, some of the 395's have been made in Brazil in recent years but still top quality manufacturing. I have a couple of Gen I 455 Ranchers, and a solid consumer saw good for firewood, general trimming, and light felling, but not a pro saw to mill with. You want to get the pro saw line of any company - 461, 661, 881 of Stihl (or the new 500i), or Husky 572/592XP, 390/394/395, or 3120 - those are saws that will hold up to milling. Plenty of great older big milling saws too, those are just the ones of the last two decades. If you're not doing a lot of milling and never plan to mill logs wider than 30", you don't have to get carried away with big saws and bars and spending big money.

There's been common advice offered for years that 90cc is a starting point, thus the insane glut of cheap clone big China saws on the market filling the demand of people who don't want to pay top dollar for milling saws. But there's a lot that can be done happily with 70-90cc pro saws with the right bars and chains. I did a fair bit of extra rock hard Texas red oak and ash slabs up to 30" with a 64cc Makita and 3/8 lo pro bar and chain with patience and letting the saw rest between cuts. Saw is holding up fine. I think with skip chain I could have milled fine with regular 3/8" had it been a 79cc Makita.

Is it most common to have a narrower bar and matching 0.050 chain for a mill or a thicker 0.063 chain? It seems the MS 660 takes that larger chain width.
Everyone has their preferences. Those with unlimited power often favor larger chain. You can run anything on the 660, even super small 3/8" .050 lo pro with thinner GB lo pro bars. Popular in Europe now running 660's with 36" lo pro bars. But requires a light touch to not snap the much lighter smaller chains. My feeling is the larger the chain, the higher the teeth sit above the bar, the more the teeth can be deflected side to side by the side forces of the leading edge of each tooth grabbing and pulling the chain outward, and any slop in the bar rail groove is magnified the higher the teeth sit above the rail. It's a feedback loop, then the bar groove gets worn more quickly too making it worse. The worse my big .404 .063 bar wore out the groove and got sloppier, the worse results I got til I put the big saw away and started milling everything with lo pro til I figured out the crossover point where lo pro didn't work so well, and it was time to move up to 3/8" or .404 (around 28-30" wide slabs). Now I've learned the importance of monitoring my rail groove width so the chains are always snug and making sure .050 hasn't become .055, or .063 hasn't worn out to .068, I've realized I can get much better results again with my larger saws and larger chain.

No, a 60 cc saw is not big enough. For milling with a 36inch bar you need a minimum of 90cc or ideally 120 cc. Milling is incredibly hard work for a saw and you would risk damaging a smaller saw. Rather than new, consider well looked after secondhand stihls (say an 088) or a Husqvarna (say a 3120). For milling you can even use even older saws without some of the safety features like a chain brake, as the saw is protected by the mill frame.

Is a Husqvarna 460 rancher (60 cc) enough to run a 36 inch chainsaw mill through red Oak?
The 460 is not enough saw to run a 36" bar, I run a couple of mills in 36" & 66" for hardwood, on the 36" I run a Redmax GZ7000 on Red & Yellow Box with a GB Lo Pro bar using Carlton 3/8LP skip chain which I have some old stock, on the bigger milI use an 880 Stihl.

The 460 is not enough saw to run a 36" bar, I run a couple of mills in 36" & 66" for hardwood, on the 36" I run a Redmax GZ7000 on Red & Yellow Box with a GB Lo Pro bar using Carlton 3/8LP skip chain which I have some old stock, on the bigger milI use an 880 Stihl.
hey, nice, same setups as I'm running - had the 36" GB lo pro on a 64cc Makita which ran it fine but switched it to one of my 87cc Stihls. Then have my 880 for the 42" and 72" bars. I need to find some of that old Carlton 3/8 LP skip. Ran into the limits of LP full comp maxing out my bar on 26-30" slabs. Dealing with stuff like mesquite and live oak here, which gets up toward the hardness of red and yellow box, I became convinced that 3/8LP was far and away the best way to mill the super hard stuff. I've taken a lot of my cues from what the Aussies on here are doing because your hardwoods are so much harder than the average stuff we have in the US and more comparable to the south Texas hardwoods I'm dealing with. Amazed at how well 3/8LP cuts.

hey, nice, same setups as I'm running - had the 36" GB lo pro on a 64cc Makita which ran it fine but switched it to one of my 87cc Stihls. Then have my 880 for the 42" and 72" bars. I need to find some of that old Carlton 3/8 LP skip. Ran into the limits of LP full comp maxing out my bar on 26-30" slabs. Dealing with stuff like mesquite and live oak here, which gets up toward the hardness of red and yellow box, I became convinced that 3/8LP was far and away the best way to mill the super hard stuff. I've taken a lot of my cues from what the Aussies on here are doing because your hardwoods are so much harder than the average stuff we have in the US and more comparable to the south Texas hardwoods I'm dealing with. Amazed at how well 3/8LP cuts.
Sorry for delay, I don't get notification on replies to my posts.
Try making your own skip chain, I grind cutters off level with the top of tie straps.

Attachments

• myskip38 every 3rd out.JPG
    myskip38 every 3rd out.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 1
  • every 3rd & 4th cutter out.JPG
    every 3rd & 4th cutter out.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1
Sorry for delay, I don't get notification on replies to my posts.
Try making your own skip chain, I grind cutters off level with the top of tie straps.
I have w .404, 3rd and 4th cutter out. Love it. Going to start doing LP chains that way for the 36” bar. A few of us are convinced that’s the best skip, but very few people do it. Someday I might get roll chain manufactured that way as I’m looking at starting an online store for lo pro milling gear here in the US.

I have w .404, 3rd and 4th cutter out. Love it. Going to start doing LP chains that way for the 36” bar. A few of us are convinced that’s the best skip, but very few people do it. Someday I might get roll chain manufactured that way as I’m looking at starting an online store for lo pro milling gear here in the US.
I believe Oregon & Carlton will manufacture, minimum order used to be 10,000 feet.

Latest posts

Back