new guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been watching the site for the last six months or so and finally got around to joining. Been in the business for 40 years or so, starting at 14 as a gopher and done most of all of it since, line clearing, Certified Arborist, Forester, free lance climber, storm chaser................ can't wait to jump into the muck!

Take a look

To Whom It May Concern:

After sending out several letters to various tree equipment companies, Sean Tait from WesSpur encouraged me to post this online.
I am writing to you on the behalf of faith and a blessing. I need some help, and although some people do not take steps to commit themselves to go this far, I am. Currently I am in need of seeking out a new way, or should I say go back to my old way to support my family of 3 because of a layoff back in September of 2009. I do understand that things are not just handed to us, but this is a chance with you I must take. It is extremely hard to go from making $2700 per month, down to only $1200 per month and maintaining monthly utility bills, which I have been able to barely do. I have however, had to humble myself and go to food banks to help us through. I have a 15 year old step son, who is a state level wrestler, as well as an above average student. I feel very motivated to at this time to go back to my roots and begin tree work again. I have done tree work for approx. 11 years. Once I left that profession, I began working for the company that eventually laid me off after 2 years of work.
At a young, 30 years old, I am still very capable of doing the type of work that I loved so much. Tree work was, and still is, something that makes me happy to get up for each day, and also can help me get back to the financial stability I need. My problem, at this point, is simply this: I do not have the money to invest in the equipment needed to start up again. Please let me tell you a little bit about my tree work history. I, at one point, had all my equipment, and done all types of work including working on a wood miser, all different ways of climbing safely, bucket work, crane operation, etc. I also traveled and helped out at many storm locations. Unfortunately on a storm working experience I had all my equipment stolen. One thing I value the most is that I have learned to care for trees in the way they are maintained. I learned thru working with Murv Alleman, out of Charlotte, NC, who gave the tree climbing gear to me to begin with years ago. Before Murv Alleman, I worked with Stanley Tree Service based out of Atlanta, GA on a crane operation team; we worked on several tornado situations there. One situation from Stanley Tree Service that stuck with me the most was a time when a tornado touched down less than a mile from where we were already working on a tornado sight and I watched the tornado carve into a wooded area. Although I worked on several storm locations, I have done lots of tree work for local citizens and businesses. Since my equipment was stolen a few years ago, I took the first available job I could find, which I kept for 2 years before being layed off. I desperately want to get back to this local community and start building a tree business again. I have the experience I just need help with the equipment.
This now brings me back to the basic reason I am writing. I am asking of you two things: do you have type of grant or “donation” program that I may be eligible for? Or can you forward my information to someone who could possibly help me??
Please feel free to contact me at (704) 425-5012 or my email address is [email protected].
Thank you in advance for any consideration that you give me!

To Whom It May Concern:

After sending out several letters to various tree equipment companies, Sean Tait from WesSpur encouraged me to post this online.
I am writing to you on the behalf of faith and a blessing. I need some help, and although some people do not take steps to commit themselves to go this far, I am. Currently I am in need of seeking out a new way, or should I say go back to my old way to support my family of 3 because of a layoff back in September of 2009. I do understand that things are not just handed to us, but this is a chance with you I must take. It is extremely hard to go from making $2700 per month, down to only $1200 per month and maintaining monthly utility bills, which I have been able to barely do. I have however, had to humble myself and go to food banks to help us through. I have a 15 year old step son, who is a state level wrestler, as well as an above average student. I feel very motivated to at this time to go back to my roots and begin tree work again. I have done tree work for approx. 11 years. Once I left that profession, I began working for the company that eventually laid me off after 2 years of work.
At a young, 30 years old, I am still very capable of doing the type of work that I loved so much. Tree work was, and still is, something that makes me happy to get up for each day, and also can help me get back to the financial stability I need. My problem, at this point, is simply this: I do not have the money to invest in the equipment needed to start up again. Please let me tell you a little bit about my tree work history. I, at one point, had all my equipment, and done all types of work including working on a wood miser, all different ways of climbing safely, bucket work, crane operation, etc. I also traveled and helped out at many storm locations. Unfortunately on a storm working experience I had all my equipment stolen. One thing I value the most is that I have learned to care for trees in the way they are maintained. I learned thru working with Murv Alleman, out of Charlotte, NC, who gave the tree climbing gear to me to begin with years ago. Before Murv Alleman, I worked with Stanley Tree Service based out of Atlanta, GA on a crane operation team; we worked on several tornado situations there. One situation from Stanley Tree Service that stuck with me the most was a time when a tornado touched down less than a mile from where we were already working on a tornado sight and I watched the tornado carve into a wooded area. Although I worked on several storm locations, I have done lots of tree work for local citizens and businesses. Since my equipment was stolen a few years ago, I took the first available job I could find, which I kept for 2 years before being layed off. I desperately want to get back to this local community and start building a tree business again. I have the experience I just need help with the equipment.
This now brings me back to the basic reason I am writing. I am asking of you two things: do you have type of grant or “donation” program that I may be eligible for? Or can you forward my information to someone who could possibly help me??
Please feel free to contact me at (704) 425-5012 or my email address is [email protected].

Aww, come on guys!

Maybe just a chipper??

Anyone??

To Whom It May Concern:

Must be a democrat, they are always looking for a handout

Last edited:
To Whom It May Concern:

Well, Use a credit card, buy a chainsaw get a truck and start working your butt off. Thats how I started. What have you been doing since sept? Didn't you have insurance on your equipment? I'd be happy to give you some advise, but I don't give money away to strangers. Ive had too many bad experiences with that. I wish you the best of luck. If I were closer maybe I could be of more help. Take care..... Mike

Jon,

I wish you the best in your endeavors and truly feel for you about trying to put food on the table for your family.

However, it is hard times for all right now and to be honest, I have never been keen on helping my competition get started.

Personally, I have never borrowed a penny to finance the small operation I have. When I first went out on my own it was after I had had a falling out with my employer (tree service) and I spent all of my savings and my last dime on equipment to do my first job and never looked back. I had my own saddle and lanyard but purchased a saw from the pawn shop, new climbing rope and gaffs. Spent my last penny and rolled the dice. I think I made $1200 that first day and put nearly every penny of it into equipment and made a down payment on insurance as well.

I have had my equipment stolen and lost everything I had a few times but have always bounced back. I wouldn't hesitate to spend my last dime on gear again because I have faith that I will make it and am good at what I do.

Wishing you the best and hope that you succeed in your venture.

Guess I should also mention that I did help someone from this site buy a GRCS but he worked his butt off for it and earned it.

Maybe you should post in the employment section and ask about work. You know, walk before you run and all that. ;)

Guess I should also mention that I did help someone from this site buy a GRCS but he worked his butt off for it and earned it.

Maybe you should post in the employment section and ask about work. You know, walk before you run and all that. ;)

what a GRCS? sorry I couldn't figure it out..

To Whom It May Concern:

:dizzy: wow, what a derail. :dizzy:

all I can say is, Wood-Mizer is spelled with a z.

Thats for damn sure!
Yes, I have been looking for work every since I was put on unemployment. Since I was laid off I found out the person or persons that were suppose to be out bidding work had gotten lazy and now the business is going under after 15 years of being in business. I’ve tried tower communications climbing, which is different from what I like doing, but need the money. They are not hiring. I’ve tried other outlets besides tree work, there again, they are not hiring. This is one of the reasons why I am here, because laziness has overcome a lot of people mentally, physically, and emotionally. On top of it all, the economy has scared a lot of people into not spending much money. Our newspapers here have put three full pages worth or advertisements of homes that people have lost or are selling or have sold. I know its going to pick back up due to the faith I have. I just want to be prepared when it does. I don’t want to get into politics or religion but isn’t that what has surrounded us for many years? We send our money over seas to help other countries instead of helping each other. I ask myself where did the bible go and have we forgotten Galatians 5:22-23 and Ephesians 4:15-16 and exchanged it with Ephesians 4:31? Let’s not forget we have the 10 commandments, but also various other laws and that is Leviticus 19; God comes first, politics come second, and the rest falls into place like confusion, etc. I’m sorry if I offended anyone, I really appreciate the positive feedback. Yes I have a truck and the will power, and will work hard, just no climbing gear. As far as the negativity goes, im going to keep searching for the positive and be blessed with what God has instructed me to do, and that is spread his word and climb trees. I do also not here want to compete with other companies that are what we do when we enter climbing competitions, so that all can be appreciated by their great accomplishments. Thank u everyone for your time and prayers I need them. God bless and keep climbing!

Hmmmm

Thats for damn sure!
Yes, I have been looking for work every since I was put on unemployment. Since I was laid off I found out the person or persons that were suppose to be out bidding work had gotten lazy and now the business is going under after 15 years of being in business. I’ve tried tower communications climbing, which is different from what I like doing, but need the money. They are not hiring. I’ve tried other outlets besides tree work, there again, they are not hiring. This is one of the reasons why I am here, because laziness has overcome a lot of people mentally, physically, and emotionally. On top of it all, the economy has scared a lot of people into not spending much money. Our newspapers here have put three full pages worth or advertisements of homes that people have lost or are selling or have sold. I know its going to pick back up due to the faith I have. I just want to be prepared when it does. I don’t want to get into politics or religion but isn’t that what has surrounded us for many years? We send our money over seas to help other countries instead of helping each other. I ask myself where did the bible go and have we forgotten Galatians 5:22-23 and Ephesians 4:15-16 and exchanged it with Ephesians 4:31? Let’s not forget we have the 10 commandments, but also various other laws and that is Leviticus 19; God comes first, politics come second, and the rest falls into place like confusion, etc. I’m sorry if I offended anyone, I really appreciate the positive feedback. Yes I have a truck and the will power, and will work hard, just no climbing gear. As far as the negativity goes, im going to keep searching for the positive and be blessed with what God has instructed me to do, and that is spread his word and climb trees. I do also not here want to compete with other companies that are what we do when we enter climbing competitions, so that all can be appreciated by their great accomplishments. Thank u everyone for your time and prayers I need them. God bless and keep climbing!

Latest posts

Back