new guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello everyone.. just wanted to introduce myself and ask some pretty specific questions that i know you guys will know,

im a disabled vet with no use of my left arm.. i recently acquired an 08s, cuz i want to restore it.. i know its not the best saw to restore but... from the time i was 9 to 17 i was the mechanic for my dads saws, and at 10 he let me start swingin one.. the saw just has alot of memories attached to it, hardship, pain, sacrifice and almost cut my leg off once LOL.. but these saws kept us fed, clothed and a roof over our heads and i learned the value of hard work with them. just the sound and smell immediately floods my mind with things i had forgotten .

i got it running after finding a large clot of sediment in the filter of the tank.. but it still smokes a good bit more than it should.. and has 137psi compression. 137 is not bad, if not for the scoring in the cylinder and the skirt wear on the piston. it could run fine like that but im going from the ground up with still only parts which i know will cost more than the saw is worth..but it is not about the money.

its a 47mm piston but im not sure if this is supposed to have a 47 or 49mm.. it does not have any provisions on the case for a chain brake so i think it is supposed to be a 47mm version.

my questions are,

1.does the 49mm version of the 08s have a longer stroke than the 47mm version.
2. does the 49mm piston have a larger diameter wrist pin than the 47mm version
3. if the stroke is longer on the 49mm version can i interchange the 47mm and 49mm crankshaft with the same cylinder or does the longer stroke (if it has one) cause a problem with ignition timing and port timing
i guess my real question is, can use a 49mm piston and cylinder with the 47mm version of the 08s
4. is the stroke the same on the 47 and 49mm versions------ 32mm
Rick

moved to chainsaw forum

Latest posts

Back