New Hand with Questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. K.

Reaction score
Good day,

I am new to the forum. I am learning much as I read through all the "New to the Industry" posts and appreciate everyone's advice to the newcomers here. I am interested in tree climbing work and landscaping, so the advice of reading material and work expectations have been invaluable to me.

I am presently a commercial diver and I work contracts for up to 12 weeks at a time. Then I have considerable time off between jobs (sometimes months at a time). I figure with this free time available to study and work part-time, I should be picking up another trade. I have experience working as a certified rigger/offshore crane operator/landscaper/laborer/carpenter/ditch digger and even working with a chainsaw to cut down trees (in hindsight, the tree cutting and ground chainsaw work being self-taught was probably not the smartest, but I am still here). I understand that this new field will require me to start "at the bottom" by moving debris and generally grunting away while learning all I can.

That said, I am wondering if any companies will bother with me despite having to fly off and go work offshore for weeks or months at a time? Is sub-contract or temporary work the norm?

Offshore work tends to be very slow in the winter months (sometimes until June). Is there plenty of tree work in the winter months in the US?

I am learning here that on the job experience with a reputable individual/company is indispensable, but how about one of the "Professional Tree Climber Schools"? Is a three day course worth it?

I am not looking for a pot of gold here. Just looking for an mental and physical pursuit to keep me busy and active.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions and any advice.

but how about one of the "Professional Tree Climber Schools"? Is a three day course worth it?

They are a good introduction to climbing and teach you the basics.. Some have modules that teach rigging and advanced rigging as well.

Latest posts

Back