New handles for some old tools.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us hope not. Besides I learned something new.
I have to admit. I learned something as well. But where is all the fun in that?
I Showed a friend How to bring out the full figure grain in a piece of Burr (white) oak by tilting a block of wood a certain way and making a few passes across a jointer, then showed him how it will disappear if you make a few more passes. He has sawed and saved out those select boards with the tiger stripe grain for 50 years but didn't realize how to saw a log and bring out that grain in a board. Seeing his reaction put a smile on my face. Like a young dog teaching an old dog a new trick.
ODD fact for White Oak ;; it is one of the few known materials that will not stain aluminum when used to sticker stock coming fresh off of the extruder. Now I will be showing him the diagram above to see how he reacts He is now retired and sold his mill but still has a small inventory of hardwoods. Thanks to Buzz Sawyer for post #6

Those look great. How much time went into making them? I have an old axe head from boy scouts but the handles very bent. Not sure how it happened, but this looks like a nice project (not that I need more). Are there good youtube videos on this?

Those look great. How much time went into making them? I have an old axe head from boy scouts but the handles very bent. Not sure how it happened, but this looks like a nice project (not that I need more). Are there good youtube videos on this?
I do not know if there are any you tube videos on this but like a lot of other things, I am sure there is. I spent the better part of a day making one handle from scratch. But I am older and retired and taking on a project like this and then using it is gives me sense of independence.

I do not know if there are any you tube videos on this but like a lot of other things, I am sure there is. I spent the better part of a day making one handle from scratch. But I am older and retired and taking on a project like this and then using it is gives me sense of independence.
And taking on a project like this would keep me busy so I wouldn't be pestering everyone on here.
BUT
Pestering all of you is easier Just sayin.

Back