New here.. Need some help with a Husqvarna 350 chainsaw..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewH05

Reaction score
Hey all,

Google has referred me here for all of my problems so far, but I've reached a brick wall with getting this chainsaw to run.

Here's the story:

I bought a Husqvarna 350 off of craigslist for $100, supposedly running great with no real issues... well here the comes problems.

Day 1 & 2 I get the chainsaw home, and I had already burnt out a Poulan (POS!!) clearing this fence line so I was eager to get back to work with a good chainsaw that wouldn't bog down when it's teeth touched bark. First things first, I don't trust anybody else, so I went right out and got the maintenance kit, replacing the air filter, spark plug, and fuel filter. I also needed to buy a new oil cap as the one on there was for a different model saw so it leaked. Everything was okay for a very short amount of time, like an hour or 2. The chainsaw started to seize itself up so that the chain couldn't spin. I quickly google'd and came here and found out that it's most likely happening due to the chain not being oiled, after some tinkering, I removed the clutch and found that the chainsaw was missing 2 roller bearings and the pinion was shredded all to pieces, so I fly down to my local shop and pick up the parts, get back and reassemble. Everything works great, in fact I had to turn down the oil flow it was working so great.

Day 3:
I decide to get a early start on these stupid Elm / Poplar trees so I go start the saw up, which is does on the first pull after pushing the choke back in. I run it pretty hard, I mean it's a Husqvarna, it can take it right? Well it faithfully fells a few trees then dies. I can't get it started again, so I give up and let it sit for the rest of the day.

Day 4:

Still can't get it started even after sitting for 24+ hours, so I start reading up some more on here and learn that it could be a fuel issue, sure enough after 30 minutes of trying to start it, I pull the plug and the piston is dry, as well as the plug, and no fuel comes out when I try to pull it without the plug. I check the plug for spark, everything seems good. So I head to the store to buy a new fuel line, as well as the correct fuel cap because I realize the one on there is leaking and is also not the right one for this saw, so I thought that might cause issues.

Day 5:
Change out the fuel lines, and begin to pull start it to suck fuel back up into the line. I accomplish that, but it still won't start, I take the plug out and see that there's fuel on the piston. I go to check for spark, this time nothing, after 15 minutes, I couldn't get a spark... so that's where I'm at.

I don't want to pay $80 for a new coil ( i know I can order online cheaper ), is there anything else at all that could be wrong with it? I checked all wires and connections and everything seems sound. When the saw runs, it runs GREAT. I am unable to check compression as I don't have the tools. But I can say it runs really strong when it was running.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it...

Thanks again for all the help thus far...

Andrew

EDIT: Added the pictures for reference, I doubt they'll help, but I added them anyways.

Last edited:
I don't think you have a coil problem..I think you have a wiring problem.

I would be looking for a wire that the insulation is worn through and grounding out..!!

Especially check around the stop switch..!! Next I would by-pass the stop switch.
:cheers:
J2F

try unplugging the light blue wire that goes into the coil - I think that is the ground wire so if it starts with that unplugged you know it is grounding out

Sounds to me that you got a clapped out 350. The problems you describe sound like an old horse. Ridden hard put away wet. Budget issues aside, sounds like that horse needs put out to pasture. I think its just gonna keep costing you more $$$'s

I would look on EBAY and pick up one of those 445 refurbs with the warruanty for $229. May be find one thats powerhead only and use your bar. Sounds like you need reliability more than you need to be working on saws. JMO

Buying a saw on craigslist is a crapshoot... and I agree with Vibes. It sounds like that saw had one foot in the grave already.

It's a small sized home owner saw from Husqvarna. Just cuz it says "Husqvarna" doesn't mean it's one of the tuffest saws out there. All the manufacturers have their "affordable" saws that really aren't their best efforts.

Gary

It's a small sized home owner saw from Husqvarna. Just cuz it says "Husqvarna" doesn't mean it's one of the tuffest saws out there. All the manufacturers have their "affordable" saws that really aren't their best efforts.

Gary

Generally true, but the 350 is maybe the best of those "affordable" saws ever made by any brand. :givebeer:

Thanks to those that posted helpful tips, i'll definitely try in the morning but i'm not prepared to accept its 'tired' and can't be fixed. Unfortunately I don't need a $1000 saw for the amount of wood I'll be cutting after this project is done. I'll report back in the morning, thanks again!

Generally true, but the 350 is maybe the best of those "affordable" saws ever made by any brand. :givebeer:

TRUE TRUE!!! 350 Husky's and 2150 J-Reds are rippin 50cc saws. But as in any machine, theres a time to throw in the towel. Especially when close to new ones are going for around $200 My freind just got a 435 Husky with the same bar and chain set-up as my 2150, and its a snortin little beast for $179 shipped. I'll bet the 445 which is in between the 2 would impress the OP for years to come.

I'd sell that 350 in a heart beat

Latest posts

Back