new job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonesko8

Reaction score
ive climbed before, about 8 months for a professional company that a family freind owned. recently ive been working a factory job since work around here is slow. long story short i just came across a company looking to hire an experienced climber so i went in filled out an app and got temp hired (gotta climb a few times see what the boss and foreman think) before i find out if i get a full hire or go back to factory work. point blank, im nervous as all hell since ive been searching high and low night and day for a new climbing job and i dont want to f*** this one up. so any tips reminders etc to help my first few days go smooth? i know my ropes and everything but in turn im still young and still have a lot to learn about the industry. im just super nervous and excited and dont want that to get in the way of me doing my job properly. any input will be appreciated thanks!:yoyo: :chainsaw:

make sure all of your gear is in order. Nothing is more annoying than an employee that shows up with a giant tangled throwball line. Work proffessional and safe. Take your time. A good employer will want safety over speed on your first day.

Mike

Good suggestions already posted. I agree: slow, safe, and steady wins the race. Unfortunately, in my years in this wacky industry I've discovered that there are many folks out there who tend to put speedy production above ALL else. That philosophy inevitable ends poorly, with shoddy work and damaged people and property.

Take the high road and remember that you want to be around years from now and still be basically ambulatory. Your kids/grandkids will thank you for that! Tree climbing full time is tough work. Best to ya. I agree that even tree climbing beats factory work hands down.

make sure all of your gear is in order. Nothing is more annoying than an employee that shows up with a giant tangled throwball line. Work proffessional and safe. Take your time. A good employer will want safety over speed on your first day.

Mike

Smooth is fast and fast means money.
You can't work at all if your not SAFE

Being safe is the most important thing, but showing enthusiasm and a willingness to learn and listen will put you ahead of the game. Show them what you know and that you have the ability to get better will take you far.
Don't be a prima dona and show some initiative, help out before, during and after the job. I'v been climbing for 30 years i still wash the windows on the trucks, load equipment, sharpen saws and feed the chipper, etc. Go the extra mile. It'll be noticed.

Listen, listen, listen.
Started a new job not long ago. Same line of work I've always been in, just a different company. Even though I've been doing it for 20+ years, the new company has it's ways of doing things. The job gets done either way but so long as I work for them, their way is the way it gets done. In time, you may want to show them some ideas on how to do things that you learned elsewhere but for now, whatever they show you how to do something, thats how you do it.

Back