new jug?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i just picked up a new jug kit for a 385 today. the lower edge of the exhaust port looks/feels to have a small burr on it. it may be nothing and i'm just looking for problems, but what can i use to polish the edge of the port? or should i just paint it black and forget about it? :p

I'd use a small file, or maybe a dremel to file it down. just be careful while filing it down.

I don't have a clue; but, would a pumice stone work?? You can use them on a commode to remove iron and calcium deposits without damage to the porcelin??? I'm interested in the answers you get.

from my limited experience, I think they always do don't they?

Isn't that why the serious guys on here alway go on about polishing and deburring ports?

You know the right way to go is paint it black, Simonize it!

Pumice your feet not the S h i t ter

Yes I'm pretty sure about what I said. I have used a dremel to clean up the ports on my saws once or twice. no bad effects from it yet.

Hi Ken,

According to some literature published by Gordon Jennings (two-stroke motorcycle tuner), what you want to do is use a small round abrasive stone to produce a rounded profile on all port edges that the rings pass by. The idea being that even a chamfer is still an edge, just not as sharp as an untouched port. The rounded profile is claimed to be easier on the rings and allows the oil to stay in contact with the rings. Gordon says to shoot for a radius profile of about 0.040" or approx 1mm.

Is this the gospel? I don't know...

Bob

I'd shy away from power tools unless you're used to doing it that way. I would probably pick up a piece of emery cloth if it was mine, easier to feel what you're doing, harder to take off too much or do damage. Slow and steady.................

Cloth will work, but it puts a rounded profile on the lip, a stone can put a bevel on the lip. The bevel does a better job of reseating the rings than a round edge.

However using power tools risks things going bad quick.

Ken, I'm with the emery cloth crowd. That way you won't do further damage unless I'm speaking out of turn.
While your sitting down watching tv you can polish the edge for 1/2 hr. with emery with little fear of damage.
John

Latest posts

Back