New logging winch purchase advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weesa20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking for a logging winch for my MF 1736. I pretty much have it narrowed down to the Hud-Son/Uniforest and Igland 3501/Norse 350 winches. Seem to be about $1k less than everything else out there.

Things that are the same:
7700 lbs pull.
come with 3 sliders
both come with cable
weight seems pretty close
Both have upper and lower pulleys

Differences: The Hud-son is Cat I & II, looks like the Norse is only Cat I. I only have Cat I tractors currently.
Hud-son has chainsaw holder and Peavey holder.
Norse comes with 3 chokers
Norse has a hinged dozer plate

Norse is $2550 plus shipping- waiting to hear how much VT to NC.
Hud-son is $2995 shipped.

I am leaning towards the Norse, mostly for the hinged dozer plate and price depending on shipping.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts that might make a difference.

Thanks

W

I'm guessing you'll be happy with either one. I like the hinged plate idea personally. I need to add a chainsaw holder to my winch, and ideally the tractor too. It's a nice feature to have standard, but shouldn't be too hard to add.

I added a hitch receiver to mine which I use constantly. If those models don't include one, plan to add it.

Some thing you never mentioned was how long do you plan on the thing to be viable. Not all winches are created equal. I built mine for different reasons. I wanted some thing that can be hauled around and work independently of the tractor. One thing that should be important is some are made to last while others might be cheaper. A long cable attached to something can bring a whole world of options to your fingertips. Thanks

On a small tractor the hinged blade is a big +

Sent fra min TA-1053 via Tapatalk

I figured hinged blade would be a little less dangerous.

If I could get 50 cord a year out of it for 10 years I'd be pretty happy. I don't think I'll ever get a cat II tractor.

I kind of think of them like splitters- they don't get trashed, just rebuilt.

W

Those winches have long life, very rugged design. The wire will need replacement now and then, and the clutch and drum brake will need adjustment after some years.

Sent fra min TA-1053 via Tapatalk

Back