New lowering line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The majority of our ropes are Sampson 1/2" Stable Braid (run through pulleys) but looking to add a couple ropes that can be natural crotched. What are some good natural crotch lowering lines? Thanks!

The husky always seems to get good wraps. We don't have it here in australia but from memory it's rebadged? You can't be taking very big hits if your lowering lines are mainly 1/2", anything will stand up just fine natural crotching at those kinds of weights. Personally I've never liked 3 strand but it sure stands up to a lot of punishment especially in pines. If I were you I'd just go for 9/16" stable braid. Or just keep using what you've got. Pulleys are always a good idea.

About the only good use for Arborplex is for a light natural crotch rigging line. Its cheap and fairly durable. It does tend to flatten out after you have loaded it a few times. Damn, I remember back in the day when it was the cats meow for climbing. This gettin old stuff sucks.

We have some larger dia. Stable Braid bull ropes but for normal rigging, we use 1/2" SB. Also have a 250' Arborplex bull rope for big stuff. Just looking for a good natural crotch lowering line for sm. to med. stuff when setting blocks isn't needed...

Personally, I use 5/8" 3-Strand for that... on the rare occasions that I natural crotch rig. Not fun to tie knots in, but it's tougher than anything for natural crotch rigging.

We just use retired climb lines for the light stuff so hi-vee or its blue twin I've smoked plenty of them to tell you it takes a good load to do it!
Yup, I have other rigging ropes, but I like an old climbing for natural crotch use. It owes you nothing, so you don't feel bad about beating it up and it can handle small to medium rigging just fine. It takes a lot to kill a good 1/2" climbing line. I have safety blue or Samson red,white,black.

Personally, I've never understood the rationalle behind using retired climbing lines for rigging. My lifeline is the least stressed rope in my inventory. Looking at the math, if I no longer trust it to hold my skinny ass in a tree, why would I trust it to handle dynamic loading over my customer's home? I don't get it.

Back