new member, new Solo 636 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Let the bashing begin, I know, buy a real saw. Go ahead, I'm new. I have thick skin...Really.

Seriously, anybody know anything about this saw. Everything in Solo's line has a numbering system that seems to reflect displacement. This one however is marked as so on the box:

Professional Quality
44cc 3.5HP
Pleated Felt Filter
Decompression Valve
Forged Crankshaft
etc.

The Saw is labeled 45cc and conforms to 1995 emissions (not EPA). YELLOW The box is marked 2001. It has a 16" Oregon bar. The instructions are a poor quality inkjet and give no specs on the saw. There is a parts list in the back. It lists parts for the 639/645/651/652.

If anyone can tell me anything about this saw, I sure would appreciate it.

I have been lurking around the site for a few days. I've read TONS of great information. Thanks to all contributing members in advance.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no experience with those saws...So I can't knock em'...If it looked and felt good to you,that's all that matters...Welcome to AS

When you buy a Solo , you become all alone.:jawdrop:

JK, I don't know anything about this saw. Do a search or wait till someone comes along that does.:givebeer:

I dont know anything about your saw but welcome to the site. Im sure someone in here will be able to help you out. Good:cheers: luck.

Welcome!

Solo...how do you like it? Ultimately that's the only valid question. If it performs the task you need it to and your satisfied with the feel...then good on ya! This is said quite a bit around here, and for every time it is said...prepare to duck because someone is getting ready to bash you! At any rate...Welcome Aboard and Enjoy!

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I did search this site before purchasing. Seemed that Solo has a solid reputation but limited distribution.

I always root for the underdog.

It feels good and looks well made. Plus it fits my budget at $199 brand new.
Decent price if it turns out its a poorly marked 36cc saw, great price if it turns out to be a poorly marketed 45cc saw.

I'll let you guys know how she runs.:rock:

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I did search this site before purchasing. Seemed that Solo has a solid reputation but limited distribution.

It feels good and looks well made. Plus it fits my budget at $199 brand new.
Decent price if it turns out its a poorly marked 36cc saw, great price if it turns out to be a poorly marketed 45cc saw.

I'll let you guys know how she runs.:rock:

Howabout a pic of the new saw???

I have a Solo 633 top handle trim saw. I like it well enough, nothing wrong with it. dependable. paid $75 for it with one tank of gas thru it. searching it here shows other owners feel the same.
dont know the 636 in particular
-Ralph

Don't know anything about them but found this...

http://www.solo-germany.com/english/frames/frame_motorsaegen2.html

A pic of yours?...

636-35.gif

Made in Germany, huh?
Let us know how you like it.

Here are some pics. I have looked at the parts diagram of the current 636 and mine is similar, but there are some differences. It resembles the 639/645. The specs on the box are for the 644, which I don't think was sold in the US?

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

I think my 636 magnum looks more like this 645. The air filter cover is taller and the hand guard looks more similar.

645.gif

Once you get into the parts diagram, my 636 has a pleated felt filter on a plastic frame while the newer 636 just has foam.

The other wild card is the decompression valve. I don't see many of the SOLOs with one.

Keep in mind, I think the saw I bought has been sitting on the dealer's shelf for at least 6 years. The big question I have is still: Is it 36cc as the model# suggests or is it 45cc as the printed material (box, stickers) indicate?

welcome to As hope you have good luck with the saw. i have seen them advertised in tree magazines. haven't never ran one . im sure you can find some info on it on the internet.

Lookin at your avatar you must ( That d@mn Ralph Nader!) My uncle had a yenko modified 63 or 64 was a blast to drive!! Welcome aboard.
Mike

nice looking saw and for that price you can't go wrong for a 44cc saw give us a full report on what you think I was kinda surprised the Dolmar dealer bashed it that seems ironic

nice looking saw and for that price you can't go wrong for a 44cc saw give us a full report on what you think I was kinda surprised the Dolmar dealer bashed it that seems ironic

Haha Dave That was not bashing I was just admiring the color choice.. I have a right to bash Solo if I feel the need seeing I am a (cough cough) DEALER for them as well.

Scott

Don't know anything about it but I'll give you $50 bucks for it and write a review when I've had a chance to use it in my woods!

It looks like it should do the job, and it appears almost like new.

Back