New Meteor cylinder kit for 025/MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I discovered that Meteor is now offering a cylinder kit for the 025/MS250 (Meteor #CC1793). As my ancient 025 has a few score marks in the cylinder thanks to some cracked rubber I decided to try it out. The kit came with cylinder, crankcase, piston, rings, pin and circlips.

I'm happy to report that the castings were clean and true with no extraneous flash. I've seen reviews of other brand kits for this saw reporting issues with the ports and oil pump support, but this fit like OEM. The ground screw hole was tapped, the clamshell screw holes were not. The original Stihl self-tappers went in quite nicely. The cylinder finish was a nice light hone, diameter and taper were all less than 0.0005". As installed, compression was 120 psi before running (ie: with a thin film of oil still on the cylinder wall). I'll try to remember to update the number when I've run a couple of tanks of fuel through it.

As a bonus, the displacement is slightly increased. The old 025 had a 42mm diameter piston, this comes with the 42.5mm diameter MS250 piston. I've only had time (and available wood) to take a few cuts, but it certainly feels more powerful than before. But to be honest, that probably more to do with me having got used to the scored cylinder than the extra 1 CC.

The biggest problem was finding someone who carried this particular kit. After contacting numerous North American dealers, the only place I could find that would sell me one was an eBay vendor in Israel. (Israel? Seriously? I thought that place was all desert -- how do they wear out chainsaws there of all places?). At $125, it was certainly more than the various Chinese options (as little as $20 on eBay), but a darn sight less than from Stihl. Heck, the Stihl dealer charged me $12 just for the fuel line!

I have an OEM 025 cylinder for sale in the Trading post. Too bad. A third of what you paid.

Your compression should be up around 150, especially with oiled rings.

120 sounds not right.

The 42 mm cylinder works great BTW. It has no divider in the transfer port and makes more compression than the 42.5. I have run a 42/42.5 side by side and the 42 is stronger.

When still increased the diameter of the piston in the same model, as they did with the 026/260, the increased displacement was to counter the effect of poorer port geometry secondary to EPA regulations. It didn't always make better power. That's why a stock 026 metal badge will spank a larger displacement 260 any day.

I have an OEM 025 cylinder for sale in the Trading post. Too bad. A third of what you paid.

Dang. I wish I'd known about that back in April when I was ordering things. I probably would have gone that route.

Ok, I see what happened. It's listed for the MS250. Back then I did not know for certain that the cylinders could interchange. Oh well, I would have had to add the piston and rings anyway. Plus shipping to Canada.

Your compression should be up around 150, especially with oiled rings.

120 sounds not right.

120 is within a couple of pounds of the number I get measuring both my lightly used Farm Boss and my son's new-this-year MS261

The 42 mm cylinder works great BTW. It has no divider in the transfer port and makes more compression than the 42.5. I have run a 42/42.5 side by side and the 42 is stronger.

Well then I guess I got the best of both worlds. There's no dividers in the Meteor ports.

You guys know this thread is a year and a half old, right? ;)

My compression gauge works just fine on a V8, but probably isn't perfect for use with a tiny single cylinder chainsaw. Of more importance than the actual number is that it compares favourably with other saws.

As an update: the saw still runs strong, a year and a half later.

O well, its's interesting to know its still going strong. Have you put a lot of hours on it ?

Not by the standards of some people on this site. :laugh:

I would guestimate 25 to 35 hours. Two of my sons borrow it on occasion so I can't say with any certainty.

Latest posts

Back